starting a lowlight 46 gallon bowfront.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben1157

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to set up my new 46 gallon bowfront as a low light planted tank. Can I use a coralife 30" 65 watt CF fixture even though my tank is 36" inches wide or will I need to get the 36" 96 watt fixture (96 watts seems like too much light) and will I need to get a substrate like ECO complete or is that overkill with a low light tank? The tank will be a community tank with cories and various tetras. I'd love any input or suggestions on different lighting fixtures and substrates.
Thanks.

You could use the 30" fixture if you want. You'll just have to keep in mind that the two ends of the tank won't be as well lit as a result. You may have to get more creative about how you mount the light over the tank, but there are definately ways that you can make it work.

Eco is a good substrate for any planted tank, and the lighting really depends on what plants you want to grow. I wouldn't think that 96w would be overkill. With only 65w, you might not have many plant options, but your upkeep would be admittedly lower.

Back
Top Bottom