Starting a new planted tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a small cube tank (2-3 gallons) at my LFS has a lot of ghost shrimps and some MTS with a lot of floating plants...
i dont see why that vase cant be used to create the same environment
i think even an additional betta can fit assuming he doesnt devour all the shrimps...

but who am i to say this...just look at my overstocked tank...and the maintaince i have to keep up with

Its not so much the volume, but the shape and the way the volume is used that is the limiting factor here.

The oxygen exchange could be improved by creating water movement at the surface, but I'm not sure how much this would help. I think that the issue for me would be the type of fish that would be suitable for a tank with that shape. I was originally thinking white cloud minnows or zebra danios, but these fish prefer a wider area to swim.

If you decided that adding movement on the water's surface isn't worth your time, I would go with a betta because it's a labyrinth fish. But then the safety of the shrimp would be an issue. So, I'm thinking that this planted tank could either contain a betta or shrimp. Other than that, I think that you'll be limited on your options. It still has the potential to be a pretty cool nano tank IMO.

thanks for the massive amount of feedback guys, i appreciate it, whether it be good or bad.

im gonna go ahead with the shrimp tank idea, and im gonna let it cycle for a little bit, i think im gonna have a mini cycle...>1week, and then it'll be ready for like a couple ghost shrimp and a couple rcs.

if oxygen exchange is a problem, i can just put in a small air stone and a small airpump.

Cool looking tank.....shrimp is a good idea...just make sure its cycled. You might need more light. :)

my one little java ferns doing really well actually.... but i might end up investing in another one of the deco art clip on lamps....

heres the fern now...

Attachments

• 105_0133.jpg
    105_0133.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 45
sorry, got it confused with another plant. i have tons of plants and dont know what any of them are called, except for my java fern and my anarchis. i think its a type of anubias?

It does indeed look like an anubia of some sort, and being so, the rhizome should be kept out of the substrate for best growth.

the original mother plant i got was planted in a small aquatic planter.all the ones i have are planted very shallow in the substrate...

heres some updated pics of what it looks like now...

Attachments

• 105_0137.jpg
    105_0137.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 105_0138.jpg
    105_0138.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 105_0142.jpg
    105_0142.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom