Starting a new planted tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fromthelbc

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok guys, i got sick of my 1 gallon because it didnt have enough space in it, so im gonna go out tomorrow and pick up a 3-7 gallon cylindrical vase for 9 bucks and turn it into my new planted tank.

here are my plans so far:
decoart nano filter
decoart 7w lighting
4" of eco-complete
Some java fern (i have a couple baby ones)
possibly might add some carpet...
some plant that grows in pink, but is actually green....
and as far as fish go, i think i'll put in some corys and maybe one small school of tetra.... anyone else got ideas?

1725-l.jpg

the vase resembles that, but has a very very very thick layer of glass. id say its at least a 1/2inch.

There will be a couple of issues with a vase for a tank the first is surface area that will limit the amount of fish you can keep it may be 7 gallons but it is more like a 1 or 2 gallon for gas exchange. The bottom area will be to small for any bottom dwellers.

Save yourself a lot of trouble by picking up a 10g tank for 10 bucks and your options will open up tenfold.

didnt wanta 10g, i got a 3g vase, and i have my nanofilter and my light all set up. i have my eco complete filtering, it looks like chocolate milk right now....

I think the most that could live in that comfortable are shrimp and maybe a betta. Whats the diameter on it? As joy13 said your gas exchange is going to be severly hampered and since the vase is more vertical than horizontal no corys or tetras would be comfortable since they would have no space to swim. Add in gravel and a plant and the space becomes more confined. As mentioned above save the trouble, go out and buy a 10g for like 10 dollars or a 20 for $20-30. Your options will be better for fish and will be generally more comfortable for the inhabitants.

Save yourself a lot of trouble by picking up a 10g tank for 10 bucks and your options will open up tenfold.

so its up and running with one plant inside of it... i think im gonna do a mixed shrimp tank. the tanks decently big....

didnt wanta 10g, i got a 3g vase, and i have my nanofilter and my light all set up. i have my eco complete filtering, it looks like chocolate milk right now....

Your eco complete is filtering? Say what? :confused:

Pics of the vase will help attempt to give you advice. Need to see dimensions here. Sounds like you have a setup for an algae farm to me.

heres pics, i put a del taco macho cup next to it for size comparison.

Attachments

• 105_0127.jpg
    105_0127.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 46
  • 105_0132.jpg
    105_0132.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 56
good luck w it. think it would make a pretty cool shrimp tank. i think it would prob look cool with anacharis and some red cherry shrimp. hope you can overcome all of the challenges that everyone is concerned with.

yeah but its different.
everyone here that has said something, has said that they would have got a different tank. i wouldn't have get that thing either. which will make that one unique because none of us have it. we should all help out instead of criticize. maybe it can be bad-***!

yeah but its different.
everyone here that has said something, has said that they would have got a different tank. i wouldn't have get that thing either. which will make that one unique because none of us have it. we should all help out instead of criticize. maybe it can be bad-***!

I'll believe it when I see it.

Although it might be more challenging, I think that it can be done. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the WPG rule applies for tanks smaller than 10 gallons. So I don't think that your 7 watts of light will be sufficient for plants. If you up the wattage, I think that some anacharis for stem plants in the background and maybe some anubias and java moss for the bottom would look really nice.

a small cube tank (2-3 gallons) at my LFS has a lot of ghost shrimps and some MTS with a lot of floating plants...
i dont see why that vase cant be used to create the same environment
i think even an additional betta can fit assuming he doesnt devour all the shrimps...

but who am i to say this...just look at my overstocked tank...and the maintaince i have to keep up with

Back
Top Bottom