Starting A Planted Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quello93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've been interested in planting my aquarium, problem is.. My substrate is just regular gravel. I tried in the past to plant but obviously had no luck with the substrate. I was thinking of switching it with flourite. Now thats where my question begins. I already have fish in the tank, I was concerned that switching in flourite at this point might have negative effects on the fish. Is this true or am I just being overcautious? :confused:

I had standard gravel in my old 55g and had no problems. I just used root tabs to support my heavy root feeders. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387506462.255244.jpg

Well you are going to have to remove the fish when you make the change. Just remember to have the new substrate all rinsed and ready to go so you can get it down as fast a possible.

I know that this is not a direct answer to your question, but plants will grow in most substrates. Obviously some better than others. The other factors that come into play are lighting, fertilization, and CO2. While fluorite may help with plant growth, the other factors need to be addressed as well.

Not sure what impact fluorite has on water chemistry (if any), however, the introduction of the waste embedded in the gravel into the water column might be more of a concern. Swapping substrate can occur while the fish are in the tank but it might be a better idea to remove all of the fish first.

Well I dont have another tank to swap my fish into, would they be fine in a bucket until then? also I havnt seen anything bout root tabs. Might be a stupid question but how do those work? I have the proper lighting already for plants.

Fill your bucket with water from the tank the fish are in. Hook up your heater and filter to run in the buckets. To keep temperature and to keep your filter bacteria alive.
Root tabs would make your gravel work for plants though. They are clay based chunks, either round or square that have iron and trace plant nutrients in them. They slow release into the gravel for the plant's root to absorb. You still need to add a good macro fert to the water as well. Peabody's Paradise sells "Ru" tabs root tabs that are pretty good and cheaper than the pet shop brands. OS.

A bucket will be fine.

Root tabs, tablets, or pellets are buried near the plant so that they can provide nutrients to the plant roots. Most of them start to dissolve quickly so you would want to bury them once you get them into the tank. They generally last 1-3 months. There are many brands of root tabs commercially available. Not all are the same. Some have different blends (amounts of iron or phosphates). Prices will vary; generally the more you get the more you save. Some folks make their own using gel caps or ice cubes and Osmocote.

I am using Aqua Fertz root pellets from AquariumPlant dot com. Three types: Total, Phosphate, and Iron (I think the have other types as well). The first two every 30 days and the last one every 45 days. I also ordered the pellet injector that allows you to push them into the substrate (especially in tight spots) without getting your hands wet. The pellets go for about $10 for 75 pellets.

Just drain all the tank water and put the fish in buckets. Remove the substrate. Take the tank outside and wash it out with a hose, add new substrate, Fill tank with water and put the fish back in, viola.

Back
Top Bottom