Starting a small planted tank for betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlyf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all :)

I'm looking to start a 5 gallon planted tank for 1 male betta and POSSIBLY some ghost shrimp. I'm looking for any and all advice and suggestions.

In your experience, what are the best plants for betta?

What lights do you use? Would you use filtration?

In your experience, what sort of substrate works best?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Does the tank currently have lighting?

I've kept fish for years but still consider myself a beginner with plants. I always go for 'low light' plants. For substrate I've done Fluorite, sand, standard gravel. I've had luck with java fern, anachris, anubias nana, Brazilian pennywort (as a floating plant, which bettas like), and of course Marimo moss balls.

My Betta is a 5.5 gallon tank. It came with an incandescent bulb and a filter. It has anacharis and crypt wendtii (red) in it. All doing great. Surprisingly.

I used some left over Gravel from my big tank. And he had a snail friend. I tried shrimp, he ate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My bettas do well with crypts, java ferns, wendilov ferns and anubias. Any kind of substrate will work. I sometimes give my bettas little caves by placing a small flower pot on its side in the tank. Floating plants are good but make sure the fish can still get to the top of the tank for air. Last time I tried shrimp with a betta, it killed the shrimp. Snails do fine though with my bettas.

The tank is only a plan right now, I have to create the space for it :) hopefully by the 10th I'll have it set up.

I'm looking at a 6.25 bow front with light and filter included but I'm thinking that it might be cheaper to just buy a 5 gallon and put my own lighting and filter.

Also, do you suggest aeration for plants? I know betta breathe from the surface, would aeration bother the fish?

Get A filter that has adjustable flow so you can turn the flow down if needed. I wouldn't add an air stone.
One of my betta's favorite pieces of decor was a small bridge, he like to sleep under it.

I would do sand and easy plants. If you're willing to add Root Tabs Crypts are my favorite plants.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420016472.204594.jpg

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sand always looks nice in solo-betta tanks IMO. But since the betta won't stir the sand, you'll have to do this once in a while (and clean it from debris at the same time).

As for plants, I always like the look of densely planted tanks. I can highly recommend dwarf saggitaria and anubias plants, since they grow in practically any tank.. As a background plants you could go with some larger crypts or even wisteria :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

My lfs only has a small selection, I think I'm going to use sand :)

And when I have the tank set up I will update you on what plants I choose!!

You don't need to stir the sand. Debris will settle on top. If you gently wave a small python or air tube above the sand while siphoning water you can vacuum debris without taking out sand.

I pick small plants for small tanks.
Anubias nana petite
Chain sword ( root tabs)
Small Crypts
Lindernia rotundifolia variegated
Red Tiger Lotus Lily

Java Fern is the easiest to find and grow.

You can buy plants here or TPT or on planted tank websites.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420043945.797341.jpg

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom