Starting CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I stole this from Benfishcrazybombbenjamin

"When it put Co2 in the tank, it's just air bubbles, well co2 bubbles.

You mix the sugar/yeast/water in a two-litter and shake it up so it dissoloves, there are better ways to dissolving but since this is your first time we won't worry about it.

You drill a hole a little smaller then the airline tubing in the cap so it fits snug. Then screw the cap on tight. After anywhere from 12-20 hours, you'll see bubbles coming from the end of the tube in the water, that's your co2. There are also better ways to get as much co2 in the water as you can, the easist way is just getting an airstone for the end of the tubing. The bubbles will continue to go for around 2-4weeks, then you dump the mixture and make a new batch.

Dosing and the co2 are different, they give the plants different things."

Can someone link me to a better description of this process (maybe one with pictures)? I think I am going to try this with my 10g, suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Noah,
If you care what the system looks like (I did when I used DIY because it sat out on shelf), the "SmartWater" bottles look very good, and label comes off easily with no mess. They come in sizes up to 2L.

I just did this DIY system myself (can't afford pressurized either). I've got a couple issues though:

1) The check valve I have is too strong for the CO2 to push it open, any recomendations on which one to get?

2) Another issue with the pressure of the CO2... if I put the tube from the 2l bottle all the way to the bottom of the tank then there isn't enough of a push to get the CO2 to come out from the water pushed up the tube. I'm pretty sure everything is as air-tight as I can get it with plumbers tape around the threads of the bottle and silicone around the tube.

If I keep the tube toward the top it does work. I have the tube going into a power head to help chop up the CO2 and push it into the tank. It comes out as a bunch of little tiny bubbles.

Any thoughts?

If it will not push co2 to the bottom of your tank, then there is a leak somewhere. The gas has to go somewhere... if it were airtight, it would push it out the bottom of the hose, even in a couple of feet of water. It will always take the path of least resistance. Same goes for your check valve... unless the valve is faulty, there is a leak somewhere that won't allow enough pressure to flow through the valve. Try sealing up your connections with super glue or silicon. It has to be absolutely airtight to function.

Back
Top Bottom