Starting Dry Ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have everything I need to start EI dosing now. I just did a 50% PWC today to kind of restart the system. Now I'm just wondering, is EI really worth it? Will I see a difference in my plants after a while?

Austin.b said:
I have everything I need to start EI dosing now. I just did a 50% PWC today to kind of restart the system. Now I'm just wondering, is EI really worth it? Will I see a difference in my plants after a while?

Of course it's worth it! I dont see an immediate difference, but about a month later, my plants turned around and are doing just great. I think you'll have good results :)

George9 said:
Of course it's worth it! I dont see an immediate difference, but about a month later, my plants turned around and are doing just great. I think you'll have good results :)

Awesome lol I have already put money into it, no going back haha I added some more reds in to the tank. Should I consider dosing iron? If so, what kind?

Austin.b said:
Awesome lol I have already put money into it, no going back haha I added some more reds in to the tank. Should I consider dosing iron? If so, what kind?

I honestly don't know. I believe the csm+b mix has some iron in it. I don't dose extra iron and everything is fine. I'd check with an expert though :)

George9 said:
I honestly don't know. I believe the csm+b mix has some iron in it. I don't dose extra iron and everything is fine. I'd check with an expert though :)

Yeah, I'm already aware that the CSM+b has some iron, just wondering if I should be dosing more? Lol thank you for all you help!:D

Well yeah, you'll see a difference if your plants were lacking in something. If they weren't, then you won't. The concept behind E.I. dosing is to make sure that your plants have all that they need nutrient-wise, so that the limiting factor on growth can be shifted over to light/co2.

jetajockey said:
Well yeah, you'll see a difference if your plants were lacking in something. If they weren't, then you won't. The concept behind E.I. dosing is to make sure that your plants have all that they need nutrient-wise, so that the limiting factor on growth can be shifted over to light/co2.

Ok, got it! What do you think on Starting to dose iron for some of Redder plants?

I would just start with the CSM+B and add in additional iron if you find you need it. As far as results go Jeta was spot on. The only difference i saw was increased growth. :)

I agree on the iron dosing, I'd hold off a few weeks, see how things look, then maybe rotate it in and see if there's a difference. There is an iron test kit but I prefer just trial and error on fert dosing myself.

skywhitney said:
I would just start with the CSM+B and add in additional iron if you find you need it. As far as results go Jeta was spot on. The only difference i saw was increased growth. :)

Ok, I'll hold off then, thanks! Hopefully I see the same results in my HC carpet! Lol

jetajockey said:
I agree on the iron dosing, I'd hold off a few weeks, see how things look, then maybe rotate it in and see if there's a difference. There is an iron test kit but I prefer just trial and error on fert dosing myself.

Sorry for the dumb question, but is there a set amount of iron I should have in the tank? I don't mind buying a test kit lol

Keep in mind that unless your plants are suffering from some pretty noticable deficiencies (which yours don't seem to be from what i can tell) that effects from dosing can take a couple of weeks to see. So if you end up rotating an Iron supplement into the mix then make sure you give it time before you expect results.

I was sorely disappointedwhen i first started dosing that when i put the ferts into the tank i didn't see results within a day or two lol. Just watch out for the pitfall a number of people fall into. :)

I'm not sure what most people recommend, but I'd just make sure there's some in there available at all times. If you did happen to have a Fe test then you could just maintain a level so that it isn't bottoming out.

Austin.b said:
Sorry for the dumb question, but is there a set amount of iron I should have in the tank? I don't mind buying a test kit lol

The typical recommended levels are .5-.75 mg/l. The more reds in the tank the closer to .75 you want to try and maintain, obviously the fewer reds the closer to .5 you want to maintain.

skywhitney said:
Keep in mind that unless your plants are suffering from some pretty noticable deficiencies (which yours don't seem to be from what i can tell) that effects from dosing can take a couple of weeks to see. So if you end up rotating an Iron supplement into the mix then make sure you give it time before you expect results.

I was sorely disappointedwhen i first started dosing that when i put the ferts into the tank i didn't see results within a day or two lol. Just watch out for the pitfall a number of people fall into. :)

All of the plants in the middle are brand new lol do you mind me asking me what the pitfall is? Is the pitfall not continuing to dose or missing a PWC or something?:)

skywhitney said:
The typical recommended levels are .5-.75 mg/l. The more reds in the tank the closer to .75 you want to try and maintain, obviously the fewer reds the closer to .5 you want to maintain.

Ok, sounds good. I'm thinking I should have mine somewhere in the range of .60's?

Austin.b said:
All of the plants in the middle are brand new lol do you mind me asking me what the pitfall is? Is the pitfall not continuing to dose or missing a PWC or something?:)

Haha the pitfall is expecting immediate results :)

Austin.b said:
Ok, sounds good. I'm thinking I should have mine somewhere in the range of .60's?

I'd start from the bottom and work your way up. You'll find the level that works for your plants :)

Back
Top Bottom