Starting planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El chakas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently moved and had to sell my 120g reef. Now I have a 50 gallon with live breeders. I wanted to make it a planted tank. I like the natural look of it. I got a few questions and hope you can help.

As far as lighting I got some LEDs

Can I have some plants with no CO2?

What plants would u recommend?

Is there anything I need to know?

I recently moved and had to sell my 120g reef. Now I have a 50 gallon with live breeders. I wanted to make it a planted tank. I like the natural look of it. I got a few questions and hope you can help.

As far as lighting I got some LEDs

Can I have some plants with no CO2?

What plants would u recommend?

Is there anything I need to know?

Are the LEDs for reef? Someone may have to correct me but they may not be the preferred lighting choice in a planted tank. They would probably still grow plants though.

You can absolutely grow plants without co2. Some varieties of cryptocoryne 's, Anubis, swords maybe, vallisneria. You need to know that plants like crypts and swords especially like nourishment at their roots and that co2 is often the limiting factor for plant growth. If you plan to use powerful LED lights with no co2 then this will most likely be a disaster which will Induce algae.

Lower lighting levels decreases the plants uptake requirements of carbon so they grow healthily but slowly. High light drives carbon demand higher and if there isn't enough the plants with eventually die.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's what I thought as well. I have grown plants using reef LEDs with blue lights off and white light dimmed. But I don't think it was ideal and added another LED high in reds.

Would I be good if I just use additives instead of CO2. Only I get a grasp of it eventually I'll get co2.

Would I be good if I just use additives instead of CO2. Only I get a grasp of it eventually I'll get co2.

You can try without carbon first then if plants are withering move on to liquid carbon additives.

As far as substrate go.. Would I have to switch to dirt or sand? I have the normal gravel

As far as substrate go.. Would I have to switch to dirt or sand? I have the normal gravel

You can use osmocote root tabs. Look them up. Many people will sell them on here. They are cheap and last a long time. Just push the into the gravel next to the plant.

Back
Top Bottom