Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Starting Planted Tank Need Advice

I’m starting a 75 gallon planted tank with a driftwood center piece. I have not yet created a planted tank and but I am very excited to learn. I’m looking for advice on everything I would need to grow a great planted tank. I’m talking Lighting, Co2 Systems (if needed, More on that later.), what to use for the bottom of my tank and Filter. And any other items I should have that I have not listed or possibly even thought of.

Here are my plans. I want to start a 75 gallon planted tank with a large driftwood center piece, i plan on planting Java Fern and Java Moss on the driftwood, having a bed of dwarf hair grass carpet on the bottom of the tank along with some Horn Worth and I have a Red Lily I want to incorporate into the setup, I’d like some other suggestions on the types of plants I should plant that look good.

Thank you to anyone who helps me out in this fun learning experience so that i can create the master piece I’m looking for.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well your defiantly gonna want to have Eco complete for the first layer then sand or small gravel on top of that, it provides nutrients and stuff to the plants. For lighting you'll want t5 lighting, at least 1-2 watts per gallon. I started the same endeavor just recently and this is what I ended up with.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully405Customz View Post
Well your defiantly gonna want to have Eco complete for the first layer then sand or small gravel on top of that, it provides nutrients and stuff to the plants. For lighting you'll want t5 lighting, at least 1-2 watts per gallon. I started the same endeavor just recently and this is what I ended up with.
Thanks for the info but im not sure what t5 Lighting means, please write out any short hand way of saying things everyone because im new to this and dont know all the terms yet.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

basically a type bulb. Higher output. You can get cheap T5HO fixtures here www.fishneedit.com
Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks, iv found some things around and if i only need 1-2 watts per gallon i should be fine with a two bulb ficture shouldnt I? running 2x 54 watt bulbs
Old 08-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea that sounds good.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

what is the difference between a White, Blue, Pink Bulb, and if i have a 2 bulb fixture what color bulbs do i want and why. id really like to understand what they are and how they differ also the bulbs are offered in 6700k, 10000k, 14000k Temp bulbs, what does this mean and what one do i need for my planted tank?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
what is the difference between a White, Blue, Pink Bulb, and if i have a 2 bulb fixture what color bulbs do i want and why. id really like to understand what they are and how they differ also the bulbs are offered in 6700k, 10000k, 14000k Temp bulbs, what does this mean and what one do i need for my planted tank?
White bulb is usually what you want to go for but some people use a pink bulb aswell. I don't know much about pink bulbs though. The blue bulb is a moonlight/actinic bulb which will do nothing to help plant growth.

You either want to go with 6700K or 10000K. This is the kelvin rating for the bulb.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #9
come get me tang police!
Community Moderator

the pink bulbs have a lower kelvin rating than a standard daylight bulb but they have the right color spectrum to grow plants.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
White bulb is usually what you want to go for but some people use a pink bulb aswell. I don't know much about pink bulbs though. The blue bulb is a moonlight/actinic bulb which will do nothing to help plant growth.

You either want to go with 6700K or 10000K. This is the kelvin rating for the bulb.
well would 6700k or 1000k be better because i dont understand how higher kalvin effects plants. also do i need both bulbs to be white 10000k bulbs to have enough light for my aquarium because i like the way the blue light makes the water look but i wont scrifice look for plant health.

Tags
plant, planted, planted tank, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com