Starting up planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmike10000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 35 gallon tank im going to have planted with angel fish. The question is what kind of lights would i need to grow most plants. I have eco complete substrate im going to go with t5ho. Theres a dual fixcture thats cheap i would like if thats enough and then theres a quad fixture thats nice but expensive. Can i get away with dual or do i need quad? The tank is i think is around 15 or so inches height

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This really depends on what fixture you want. There is a big difference between say an Odyssea t5ho fixture and an Aquatic life t5ho fixture. What brand is it?

Also, keep in mind that the higher light level to grow these plants will require daily fertilizer dosing as well as carbon supplementation either with glutaraldehyde or pressurized co2.

The one i was looking at was the odyssey actually. Is it not good?

The one i was looking at was the odyssey actually. Is it not good?

Not really, I would highly suggest skipping the odyssea and saving up for a decent LED fixture. They are a bit more expensive but you don't have to replace the bulbs which more than makes up for the price difference. I went with the Aquatic life fixture and have honestly regretted it ever since.

Not really, I would highly suggest skipping the odyssea and saving up for a decent LED fixture. They are a bit more expensive but you don't have to replace the bulbs which more than makes up for the price difference. I went with the Aquatic life fixture and have honestly regretted it ever since.

Do you have any experience with them?
I had one back when I first got into fish back in 2010 and then got another one in 2013 and the second one was much better both have now been phased out though.

OP I would look for LED fixtures, they will save you money in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont mind led at all I just don't know a good one that would work. There are so many brands I don't know what to pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also need a light for my 20 gallon long reef tank and thats confusing me too. The odyssey lights are so temping because there cheap but i do want good growth with my plants and coral

I dont understand the watts per gallon rule for leds either

I also need a light for my 20 gallon long reef tank and thats confusing me too. The odyssey lights are so temping because there cheap but i do want good growth with my plants and coral

The finnex ray 2 also has a saltwater version of the light as well.

If your willing to stand behind that light ill buy that for both my tanks

I like my Aquatic Life fixture. I have good Giesemann bulbs on mine, and the color is great. I guess it all depends on what you want. Many have had success with T5 HO, and many have had success with LEDs.

I like my Aquatic Life fixture. I have good Giesemann bulbs on mine, and the color is great. I guess it all depends on what you want. Many have had success with T5 HO, and many have had success with LEDs.

The primary reason I dislike my aquatic life fixtures is that they are too bulky. It really restricts the access to my tank. The secondary reason I am regretting my decision to use them is bulb replacement. I have success with them, I just wish I had gone with something else.

If your willing to stand behind that light ill buy that for both my tanks

I personally have not used them, however I have heard little to no complaints from them and a ton of people use them. They would be my #1 choice for affordable LEDs.

I think im going to go with them. I like the reviews and there in my budget. Thank you

Can't go wrong with finnex!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use Finnex Planted + and i see new plant growth every week. I haven't gotten into co2 injection yet, but for low to mid light plants the Finnex lights work really well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ill post pics when i get it in. Looks like ill be happy with this fixture

Back
Top Bottom