Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Staurogen Repens propogation?

My mind is numb from Googling and reading and trying to make sure I understand correctly...
I'm wanting to spread Staurogen along a good bit, if not the entire floor of my new shrimp tank. It just always looks SOOO awesome.
Obviously, simply buying enough of it can get quite expensive. So...

Am I to understand that I take the healthier stems and cut just above the BOTTOM set of leaves and then clear off all but a few leaves at the top of the NEW stem & simply stick that back into the substrate? It requires no roots at all?
Is it really that easy to spread this little plant?

Also, I've read on a few different threads that if you keep trimming the tallest stems down, it will force it to spread more rapidly out to the sides. That true as well?

TIA guys and gals!

Old 09-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Hit reply too soon. That is how I propagate it. When upper growth is removed, more light gets to the lower sections and the shoots start to grow, sometimes sideways.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Thanks. I was just wanting to make sure. I've kinda grown to where I'll try to go seek out answers on my own, but if STILL not sure, I'll come here to ask the experts. Ironically, quite a few of my Google searches on various things brings back tons of links to conversations here at AA.

Anyways, I just got done trimming down all the stuff I had planted and re-planting around it in the empty holes. I leave for Mexico in a couple days. Hopefully it's all growing strong when I get back, or the couple playful little Cory cats haven't dug them up!
Old 09-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another thing to note is to get it to carpet it usually will take a little more light. From my experience in lower light it tends to get bushy. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarl_10gal View Post
Another thing to note is to get it to carpet it usually will take a little more light. From my experience in lower light it tends to get bushy. Good luck!

Bushy in lower light? Normally higher light promotes bushy compact growth. Low light tends to make plants leggy. Leggy plants can be trimmed and trained to appear bushy though.

OP, yes its really that easy. The freshly cut stem will grow start growing roots within a week. Plants are really rather clever

Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Appreciate the responses guys. As far as light... like I said, running that 96w 10k Coralife fluorescent setup over this 30gal long. So... 3w per gallon?
It's easily putting out twice the light of any other tank in the house, and they're all doing fine and full of plants. So I can't imagine that's going to be an issue.

It sits right here by my desk and I work from home every other week, so can keep a close eye on it. Will continue to watch it, snip it, re-plant it... wash-rinse-repeat.

Just wanted to make sure that was seriously all there was to it. Seemed too simple!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk3lly View Post
Bushy in lower light? Normally higher light promotes bushy compact growth. Low light tends to make plants leggy. Leggy plants can be trimmed and trained to appear bushy though.

OP, yes its really that easy. The freshly cut stem will grow start growing roots within a week. Plants are really rather clever

Sorry i see your confusion in what i said. I was trying to say what you stated that the tops become leggy and trimming could make them bushy. Higher lighting typically drives more lateral growth.

Tags
propogation, repens

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com