Staurogyne Repens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Should staurogyne repens pearl if conditions are correct? Other plants in my tank pearl but not the staurogyne. Should I be concerned?

Should staurogyne repens pearl if conditions are correct? Other plants in my tank pearl but not the staurogyne. Should I be concerned?

Any plant can pearl under the perfect conditions, but not pearling isn't a sign of poor health or growth. Are your other plants taller, closer to the light? My s. repens doesn't pearl as much as my taller more leafy plants, but its healthy and growing quite well.

Not my photo, but proof of pearling

Attachments

• image-3175469750.jpg
    image-3175469750.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 109
What exactly is pearling? I've heard the term used but never really took time to research it.

When plants are photosynthesizing and producing oxygen so fast that you can see the bubbles forming on the leaves and rising up. Normally in high tech tanks.

When plants are photosynthesizing and producing oxygen so fast that you can see the bubbles forming on the leaves and rising up. Normally in high tech tanks.

Ahhh mine all do that. I was wondering why bubbles did that. I thought it was just air bubbles getting stuck to them. Makes sense now

Thanks Zimmanski, I was thinking that everything needed to pearl or it was doomed. I appreciate your insight

Pearling is like the A grade of plants. You can be doing well in a class and not get an A, but if you are getting an A, you know you're doing well.

If there is no pearling, can you increase co2 levels? I'm already at approx. 30ppm on co2 levels, but i have no pearling.

If there is no pearling, can you increase co2 levels? I'm already at approx. 30ppm on co2 levels, but i have no pearling.

It depends. If you have high light, then you could, just be careful not to gas your fish :nono:.

I don't think there is any amount of co2 that we can easily and consciously produce (whether it be pressurized, or diy, or excel/glut) that would impede on plants' growth. But it can definitely kill fish. If your plants are growing, but not pearling, and you don't have algae, then I wouldn't do anything.

Back
Top Bottom