Staurogyne repens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have staurogyne that is tall! Like 5" tall. If I cut it in half can I replant the tops by just jamming them into the substrate until they root?

My tank is DEEP so I don't want to go through the effort if this is not the way to start a new plant. Hoping this is possible though as it would be nice to have a lot of new upstarts.

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

How's that for some tall staurogyne :) this is what stauro looks like that has NEVER been trimmed. Tank is 36" deep so my 22" arm doesn't get down there much :)ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392578210.190194.jpg

Yes... cut them in half and replant the tops. They'll root and be their own new plant. 36" is a really deep tank. That's why they're growing very tall to reach for the light.

What size tank is this and lighting you're using? Just curious.

Yes... cut them in half and replant the tops. They'll root and be their own new plant. 36" is a really deep tank. That's why they're growing very tall to reach for the light.

What size tank is this and lighting you're using? Just curious.

36" deep? wowzers. I am going to agree with Brian on this one. You would need an extremely powerful lighting system to get appropriate lighting at substrate depth.

7 t5 ho bulbs... Injected CO2... Been growing like crazy for a year. The lighting is good. I mean they are tall reaching for light but they've also carpeted the entire bottom so they're healthy.

7 t5 ho bulbs... Injected CO2... Been growing like crazy for a year. The lighting is good. I mean they are tall reaching for light but they've also carpeted the entire bottom so they're healthy.

What color temp are the bulbs?

6500k. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392610069.108550.jpg like I said the tank isn't new. Growing fine for 16 months actually... I wasn't troubleshooting the growth. Just wondered if I could cut the things and start new pants with them.

Everyone that hears the tanks depth always freaks out a little and says the lights aren't bright enough but time would tell and trust me, they're bright enough.

One reason I know this, is when I planted that stauro it was in about 8 branches... Well it carpeted the entire bottom that wasn't shaded by the driftwood.

Based on real life trial and error, its bright enough to carpet. Its honestly got nowhere to grow BUT up at this point.

Back
Top Bottom