Staurogyne repens, best practices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoeplein

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is my favorite "small" plant, due to its leaf shape primarily.

Should it be: Planted? Mounted to driftwood? Both? What are its best ferts? I have bottles of macros, iron, potassium, and phosphate. Anything else I should get?

I know it loves high PAR, since it's a short plant. I have the lighting requirements covered. And I'm dosing liquid co2 daily until I can afford a full co2 kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive never seen anyone attach it to driftwood im not sure how that would work.... Mine have grown great in the substrate and doesnt need anything special!

They seem to me to feed from both the water column and the root system. I always feed them some root tabs and they do great, even at medium light.

Planted. Root and water column feeder. I recently pulled all of the star repens from the tank while doing a rescape and the roots on them were quite extensive (similar to crypts).
I like this plant. Today I trimmed off the tops of about a dozen plants and replanted them at the edge of the group. It takes about a week or so for the new roots to grow from the trimmings.

Got a photo? I don't think I've seen one of those plants, would appreciate having a look..

Got a photo? I don't think I've seen one of those plants, would appreciate having a look..

cfx7Hol.jpg
Here is Staurogynes repens in my tank from a few months ago. I got it from one of this Topfin gel packs from Petsmart. The plants in those packages are very small and it took several months to get it to look like this.
Close up:
QTdkOVX.jpg

Top view:
n7BYAN8.jpg

Details...
Lighting: 30" Finnex FugeRay LED
Ferts: Seachem Flourish Comprehensive 2x weekly, API Leafzone 1x weekly, AquaFertz root pellets (Total/Iron) 1x monthly
CO2: DYI 2x 2L bottles
Substrate: EcoComplete, black regular grain

Those pics were taken a few months ago and I have switched to PPS-Pro dry ferts from GLA and now use an AquaTek regulator and 24 oz paintball CO2 tank. Prior to PPS-Pro, growth was slow and steady and after I believe it has increased although it has has had its share of pin hole and leaf drop (most likely signs of a nutrient deficiency). Still working on getting it right.

Really is a great plant to create a different carpeting look. In high light it stays nice and compact.

I think its needs are pretty similar to AR mini, although i have no evidence to back this up

Been growing star repens and AR mini side by side and the latter has been a challenge to keep healthy. About 50% of plants have distorted new leaf growth. Been trying to keep nitrates between 10-20, phosphate at 2-4, and CO2 DC green. Seeing the same with the regular AR as well. Star repens doing fine although a few months ago things got out of whack (lots of pin holes and leaf drop/shedding). Removed nitrates from the PPS-Pro regimen. That helped the star repens but the AR are still not looking so good.
Yes, both plants, when healthy, can be used as a carpet or low foreground feature. They make a nice "skirt" around your hardscape (DW, stones).

Ahhh. I have some of that in my tank, also. Can never remember what they're called. The cluster I bought all sprouted roots along the stalk within a couple days of being planted. F'n brush algae bloomed that same weekend, too, though. I'm guessing it was the Iron dosing.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is my favorite "small" plant, due to its leaf shape primarily.

Should it be: Planted? Mounted to driftwood? Both? What are its best ferts? I have bottles of macros, iron, potassium, and phosphate. Anything else I should get?

I know it loves high PAR, since it's a short plant. I have the lighting requirements covered. And I'm dosing liquid co2 daily until I can afford a full co2 kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No one that I know has tried attaching it to drifts. No harm in experimenting. Get a couple of cuttings and tie it to a piece to DW. See how it goes. No harm there. Though I doubt it would spread like moss on DW.

My wife and I both like the Staurogyne repens and Ludwgia repens. We bought our S. repens from Petco or Pet smart (can't remember which) in one of those gel packs. It has grown nicely over the last few months. Two weeks ago, I was replanting a section of my 29 gal. I had most of the S. repens in when one of my cats ran into my legs and I almost lost my balance. Unfortunately I balanced myself with my hand in the tank....crushing most of my S. repens. :nono:
In two weeks most of it has grown back, but not as nicely. I figure it will be fine in a few more weeks.

Your S.repens looks great! I'm surprised how well the gel pack plants do.

I have mine just planted in the substrate. I've not tried to attach them to anything. The root system they grow can get as big in the gravel as it does above the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom