Stemmed plants rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I purchased this beautiful plant, green leaves on top; purple underneath,.... I don't know what it is..... I really want to keep it alive.
Stemmed plants seem to rot (dissentigrate) below gravel and then float to the top..... I currently have Sag doing the same thing
No CO2, medium light , 40g
Use all Seachem plant products

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I saw it is called purple waffle?? And it may not be a submerged plant ?. I don't want it to die

Hemigraphis exotica is what I think it is.... CRAP ? it is not a aquarium plant...... I don't know how to build a terrarium

Where did you buy this plant? I usually buy/swap with club/forum members because IMO you get a better idea and history of the plant you are getting.
A terrarium can be a simple as a glass or plastic container with soil and a lid to contain moisture. I use them to grow out dwarf baby tears (HC Cuba).

Local aquarium supply place. I go there for fish occasionally. Saw the plant. Loved it..... I have 100% planted tank. Just wanted to rescape. Bought it without knowing what it was. I'm just gonna go with it..... If it dies it dies. Only $3

It is a gorgeous plant. For a terrarium or even an annual ground cover outdoors. It should last 2-4 months submerged.
I wish the aquarium trade would either not market them (and many others like them) as aquatic plants or do a better job listing them as semi-aquatic or terrestrial plants. The lack of success can be frustrating for new planted tank enthusiasts.

If it lasts 4 months better than nothing..... Thanks !!!

Yea the purple plant and also aluminium plants get sold as aquarium plants but they in fact die over time when submerged. I've asked many fish stores why they stock them and they tell me that there aquarium plants haha. It's just ripping people off if u ask me

My Sag is slowly melting as well just at gravel level

Most plants will melt until they get used to there new environment. They need to get used to the difference in co2 o2 and ferts.

I'm guessing there new plants?
Give them a few weeks and they should come good

Yes new.... No CO 2 only substrate tabs

I'm guessing u are using excel as your co2 though so there is still a carbon sauce. Most plants are grown hydroponic for fish stores so they take. While to adjust to being in water. U will find the leaves will change shape and the hydro roots will die and new ones with grow. While all of this is going on the plants can look very sick and melted

Yes Excel. They always look poorly for a month or so then make a comeback

I have a couple of these hoop things that I attach the plant to and then use the airline suction cups to hold up. It's 1am here or I would take a picture... I have a very nice acorus, and the fish love the roots. Both our tanks are uncovered, though. I think you would have to lower your water level for this to work with a lid.

If you can get a picture I would love to see

purple waffle will just melt in an aquarium. ask the staff that worn there and they should tell you its only a temporary display plant.

I am apparently getting some brown leaf tips. Not happy about that, but this is it.

1478004048862.jpg

And you're like, "this lady clearly doesn't know what a nice plant is." I just split it a couple of weeks ago because it got too big too fit inside the hoop, so hopefully it will fill out again.

Over the weekend, I moved some lucky bamboo to a larger hoop, but it was to long and heavy for a suction cup to keep horizontal, so I hung it over the filter.

1478004319906.jpg

AND those middle two pieces are clearly not doing well. I just disassembled it, but this is the hoop.

1478004267021.jpg

I got the bamboo in July, and it was submerged until about two weeks ago when it developed fungus. I've had the acorus since June, and it's been inside that hoop most of the time.

I don't have to worry about this beautiful plant dying......it's being eaten by the catfish

Back
Top Bottom