Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #91
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Looking great Larry. I love a full natural looking tank like this. What shrimp/fish does it contain?

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Activist

There are no shrimp. I have RCS in a separate 3 gal tank. The fish in the 18 gal. are a wild Guppy variety, and for the life of me, I forget which one. I also have a few Cory cats.

The main tank looks so much better than the photos I took, as it is impossible to capture the depth (3D) of the aquarium.

I think that the main reason it is so healthy is the abundant plant life. The plants must filter out and detoxify harmful chemicals. In any case, it has been my experience that - with any aquarium, and especially with a fresh water aquarium - once it attains a certain level of biological balance, it takes care of itself with only minimal intervention. Water changes are still important, on occasion, but the actual maintenance time in a well balance aquarium is minimal.

elwaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Your tank looks great,if mine looks half that good I will be happy.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
Looking really good Larry. I could stare at that for hours.
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the kind words. And in fact, I do stare at the aquarium for hours. Of course, I usually have a Bourbon in hand while I stare.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaine
OK, this one will either ruin you eyes or ruin you mind - or both. I did this for myself because I have to order plants and kept forgetting what I wanted to plant and where I wanted them to go. It's a lot easier to understand when the actual tank is in front of you. The lack of 3-D really makes it difficult to understand my plant design. (Also, as I haven't had any Bourbon yet, it's even difficult for me to follow my "drawings."

BTW, light shouldn't be a problem as I'll have slightly over 7 watts/gal. But I will watch the Anubias roots carefully. The one's up front will be no problem at all, but the ones in the back may get too much shade.

Don't say I didn't warn you! Here they are:
Hi I'm starting to put up a 40 gallon breeder, your layout is amazing just viewing it really helps me understand the process and achievement. I'm gonna follow it with a design of my own, hitting the sketch pad now! - picean22
Old 01-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you... and good luck.

It's a lot of fun to start a new aquarium, but it takes a good year - at least - until it matures and evolves into what it will finally look like. And sometimes, it's a nice surprise.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Regular

Gorgeous tank!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to LemurLad
What a magnificent tank Larry! That's absolutely inspiring. No doubt about tanks taking a year plus to mature, yours is an awesome example of a box of liquid nature. My 10 gallon's at about 1.5 years and it's just coming around. Though I tinker with it a bit.

Tags
ick, journal, stone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com