Still lacking potassium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My hygras have been getting holes. Mostly the old leaves, but even the uppers as well. I know that's usually a potassium problem and I hear hygras use a lot so I've gradually been increasing potassium but no change. Should I keep adding more? Seems like I'm now adding a lot and not sure if it just needs more or if it's a different problem?

I use PPS PRO and instead of 29g of potassium I added 35g and when I dose, I am dosing 9ml in a 60g so that's already a lot more than the standard dose. Do I need more? Or could it be lack of co2?

Also my other plants are all suffering - java ferns are black and have holes (rhizome not buried). Holes in the anubias also. My rotala leaves are kinda black and also have holes.

Here's all my info:

60g long.

Fish: guppies, mollies, cories, sword tail, dwarf gourami, neon tetras, glowlight tetras, scissortail rasboras, Australian rainbows.

Lights: 2x54w T5HO, 2x15w plant growth bulbs. On for approx 7-8 hours a day.

Ferts/glut: PPS Pro daily. 8ml micros, 9ml macros. 15ml neat metricide daily.

Water params: 76 degrees, 0 nitrites/ammonia, 5-10ppm nitrates, very hard water, high ph (around 8.0). 50% PWC weekly.

I'll post a pic in just a second.

Help appreciated!

Those look like phosphate holes to me, although CO2 can certainly mimic just about anything. Remember that plants can repair some micro deficiencies, eg Mg, but they will never repair macros generally speaking. So you'll have to see what's happening to your new growth to really get a bearing on what's going on. In addition, those look like maybe polysperma, which are going to need a lot of nutrients to stay happy.

I would probably just flat double your PPS right now, as you can always back off later. You could also try putting a single EI macro dose in once a week after WC and keep your current regimen to help get on top of it.

Are you using glut only and not CO2? That seems like it would be ok in a tank that size. You might try turning off your 2x15w for now as it's just going to drive more nutrient absorption right now.

Those look like phosphate holes to me, although CO2 can certainly mimic just about anything. Remember that plants can repair some micro deficiencies, eg Mg, but they will never repair macros generally speaking. So you'll have to see what's happening to your new growth to really get a bearing on what's going on. In addition, those look like maybe polysperma, which are going to need a lot of nutrients to stay happy.

I would probably just flat double your PPS right now, as you can always back off later. You could also try putting a single EI macro dose in once a week after WC and keep your current regimen to help get on top of it.

Are you using glut only and not CO2? That seems like it would be ok in a tank that size. You might try turning off your 2x15w for now as it's just going to drive more nutrient absorption right now.

Awesome thanks I'll do that! I just wasn't sure how much more is too much. I will double it and see how it goes. Yes they are polysperma, though I have some sunset ones also.

Yes I only have glut. I have been toying with getting co2 but a) not sure it will fit and b) wary of one more thing to look after! Since my light is on the low side of medium didn't think I should need it? Thoughts?

Yes I only have glut. I have been toying with getting co2 but a) not sure it will fit and b) wary of one more thing to look after! Since my light is on the low side of medium didn't think I should need it? Thoughts?

Like always depends on a lot of things. I think this setup is fortunate in that it would benefit from CO2, but doesn't need it, assuming I'm understanding the dimensions and light level as well as I think I am. So it's really up to you. That being said, I would have serious reservations about putting polysperma in a well nourished, well lit, CO2-infused tank. It would go insane.

Like always depends on a lot of things. I think this setup is fortunate in that it would benefit from CO2, but doesn't need it, assuming I'm understanding the dimensions and light level as well as I think I am. So it's really up to you. That being said, I would have serious reservations about putting polysperma in a well nourished, well lit, CO2-infused tank. It would go insane.

Gotcha - in that case I think I'll save the expense and effort!

Just one quick Q re the dosing - should I double both macro AND micro?

Also do you think the reason the others (anubia, ferns, rotala) are suffering is for the same reason - the hygras are taking all the ferts?

Just one quick Q re the dosing - should I double both macro AND micro?

Micro is less essential, as I'm relatively sure they aren't the problem, but if it were me I would double both.

Also do you think the reason the others (anubia, ferns, rotala) are suffering is for the same reason - the hygras are taking all the ferts?

Yes. The polysperma are already going nuts with just the glut, rapidly consuming all of the ferts available. Slower growers like ferns or anubias are essentially being beaten to the punch. That being said, they will languish slower because they have less nutrient requirement by virtue of their growth rate.

Back
Top Bottom