Stocking for my 40 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armenkk1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up a 40 gallon not to long ago, and am planning on plants soon, but I'm not sure about stocking. all I know is I want a big school of neons and a school of glass cats but I'm not sure what else to put in, if possible. So far this is what I was planning on:
-20 neon tetras
-(around) 5 glass catfish

Wondering if that's a good stocking list, ad if possible what else can I add.... thanks!

Kuhli loaches are peaceful and do an awesome "dance" that you can easily watch if you do a YouTube search.
They would be great with cories and you should get 6 or more if you get them.
They burrow through sand.

Also the tiny cories are fun because mine sleep on leaves! I have corydoras habrosus. There is another one that is more mid-level and will school with tetras at times. I think it is pygmaeus?

Up your school of glass cats to 6 and due to their natural shyness you should keep your fish to peaceful ones. Rummy Nose Tetras, Rasboras, and hatchetfish (which stay at the top of a tank) are all good calm choices to keep with them. In a 40g you could do 6 cory cats. I've found Julii seem to be the most active and least shy of the 5 species I keep. Panda's are also good choices.

Oh another good top schooler choice is threadfin rainbowfish. I have a school and love them.

does anyone have any experience with hillstream loaches?? would one be ok in my tank? keep the suggestions coming, thanks again guys

I know they like cooler water and a good current and can be difficult to feed.

I know they like cooler water and a good current and can be difficult to feed.

assuming i can take care of one, this is my stocking list so far:

-20 neons
-6 glass cats
-6 pygmy cory cats
-hillstream loach

What do you guys think? Oh, and could i add some shrimp, or would that be a problem?

The other fish won't like the cooler water or a strong current. The rest of the list is good. What I would do is get a few cheap ghost shrimp and see how they do, just 2 or 3 but I'm pretty sure shrimp would be fine. I'd also add a couple nerite snails. If you could find the horned nerites or tiger nerites they would look good. Also they can't breed in freshwater so you won't have a population explosion of snails.

Rivercats said:
The other fish won't like the cooler water or a strong current. The rest of the list is good. What I would do is get a few cheap ghost shrimp and see how they do, just 2 or 3 but I'm pretty sure shrimp would be fine. I'd also add a couple nerite snails. If you could find the horned nerites or tiger nerites they would look good. Also they can't breed in freshwater so you won't have a population explosion of snails.

Ok sounds awesome. Can you think of any other "cool" or exotic looking fish that would go good with the rest of the fish and would stay small as well?

The hill stream is going to be super iffy. They are hyper sensitive. As said above cooler water is a must and swift current is need. I would rethink that one. It just has very special needs as river hinted at. I haven't had any success with them in a community tank but thats just me....hill stream species build would be kinda cool to do.

phishfriend said:
The hill stream is going to be super iffy. They are hyper sensitive. As said above cooler water is a must and swift current is need. I would rethink that one. It just has very special needs as river hinted at. I haven't had any success with them in a community tank but thats just me....hill stream species build would be kinda cool to do.

that's an idea... lol

i might have just found my "oddball" fish... has anyone had experience with banjo catfish??

ok guys... here's a pic of the tank. I just tested for ammonia & nitrite and their both at zero. any suggestions on who I should put in first? And also any plant suggestion? it's pretty bare right now.

Attachments

• image-1143484737.jpg
    image-1143484737.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 50
armenkk1 said:
ok guys... here's a pic of the tank. I just tested for ammonia & nitrite and their both at zero. any suggestions on who I should put in first? And also any plant suggestion? it's pretty bare right now.

Are you able to process 40ppm of ammonia?

What lighting do you have (for plant suggestions)?

CoryFan said:
Are you able to process 40ppm of ammonia?

What lighting do you have (for plant suggestions)?

not sure how much ammonia it can process... I put a couple of dead feederfish in to cycle.

My lighting is a T5 HO fixture with two 39 watts.

armenkk1 said:
not sure how much ammonia it can process... I put a couple of dead feederfish in to cycle.

My lighting is a T5 HO fixture with two 39 watts.

Ok. I am not sure how to know what bioload you have built up for then...

Hopefully somebody can help!

My understanding is that if you are processing 20 ppm you should add only a few fish at a time, and at 40ppm you can stock it all at once.

Are you doing co2?

CoryFan said:
Ok. I am not sure how to know what bioload you have built up for then...

Hopefully somebody can help!

My understanding is that if you are processing 20 ppm you should add only a few fish at a time, and at 40ppm you can stock it all at once.

well I got the filter, and it's media, from an existing goldfish tank, and the substrate is from a natural pond. it cycled on like 3 days. no co2 :(

Back
Top Bottom