storing eco complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just took down my ten gallon tank today b/c I am moving soon, but I want to reuse the eco complete when I set up my new 55g. It's in a bucket right now...will this be ok for two weeks, do I have to cover it or do anything special????? Thanks in advance!

drain the water off and let it dry out. that's all you'll need to do, short of giving a quick rinse before adding it to the new tank.
Remember since it's sitting for 2 weeks it'll lose all beneficial bacteria. If the 55gallon is new, you'll have to cycle it before adding fish.

Well... draining it will kill the bacteria. This is fine for most substrates when you move, but I'm not sure if you're hoping to keep the biological activity alive. If you are, keep the water in there and drop in the heater to keep the temp relatively constant. When you move it, make sure that you cover the bucket very well, and that the bucket is only half full. This way, the water won't spill on the car ride, train ride etc.

HTH

That's not enough though madasa....

You'd need a heater, and a filter, and something to keep adding ammonia to keep the bacteria alive....essentially a fishless cycle knock-off to keep bacteria alive. without the ammonia, water circulation/oxygenation and good temp, the bacteria will die off within days.

You're right about the ammonia, Malkore. But I assumed Kristen was going to move in a couple of days. My bad--I didn't think that the moving would take much longer than than.

Kristen, if you're not moving immediately (the next couple of days), just drain the ecocomplete, as Malkore said. Start up a new cycle when you get to your new place.

Yeah she said it was in a bucket right now, and that she's moving in 2 weeks in her first post.

Back
Top Bottom