storing extra plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short:

1 I've had good luck with some of the plants I'm growing and
2 Fish people can be very kind and very generous

I have a lot of extra plants...they're in buckets, large bowls, plastic water pitchers. Eventually I'd like to sell but that's a bit down the road.

How do you store extra plants? If I got a basic 10g would I just add conditioned water and toss in the plants? Would I need to use ferts? What about water changes?

Last question is about snails. I received a very large portion of najas grass with lots of pest snails. Would it be a good idea to add an assassin snail?

If you don't plan on using or selling the plants right away I'd RAOK or compost them. You could get a spare tank to throw clippings into but realistically in most cases it would just turn into another set up tank. You could also set up a simple emersed tank too. I used to keep every plant clipping until I realized I'll just have more in a week or two and the extra buckets/containers lying around are just creating extra clutter.

Regarding assassin snails I would recommend adding one.

What i do with plants that i don't have enough room for is put them in an emersed setup. If i want to use the plant in the future to save it i throw it in my emersed setup made out of an old styrofoam cooler. They also sometimes flower like my hygro corymbosa in the picture if you can make it out. little to no maintenance in needed i leave this setup alone for a month at a time adding a little water every once in a while.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427344630.850540.jpg

}<((((' > }<((((' >}<((((' >}<((((' >
}<((((' >}<((((' >}<((((' >
}<((((' >}<((((' >}<((((' >}<((((' >

If you want to store them I would get a rubbermaid container and fill it (depending on how tall it is, half way. if it is the under bed one all the way is fine). Then put a light and heater on it, chuck in a powerhead or circulation pump, a sponge to prevent plants from flowing in, and just dose ammonia and the normal ferts. Iron, Potassium, Osmocote etc.

Liquid or Diy CO2 would help as well. Do water changes with old tank water.

This getting me worried because I wanted a planted tank and I'm a beginner

@Exia: why does this worry you? Most people just throw away their trimmings ;)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

You will be fine.

Chuck it, feed it, compost it, replant it, save it, or sell it. You got options!

Back
Top Bottom