Strange Roots Appearing All Over Plants-PICS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
My plants that I got mail order 2 weeks ago (overnight shipping turned into 5 days in subzero Maine weather) are doing some VERY strange things! Roots are growning all over them!! Under leaves, on stems! It is looking a like a science experiment gone bad!

Here are the plants....I do NOT know their names, so any identifications people can give would help me out too!

Anyone have any idea what is going on...and what I should do? Should I just cut them under the rooting aspect and replant them?

Im not sure, but the green plant looks like some type of crypt or small sword or sag. They reproduce bu forming runners. You can bend the stalk over and stick the roots in the substrate or cut the babies off, leaving 1 inch of stem on both sides and plant them.

Those are water roots and are very common. Many plants will put them out until they develop a good root system, some never stop putting them out. They are harmless and can be trimmed off if you don't like the way they look, but they will likely just grow back in time. I would not recommend cutting the stem at the point of the root and replanting because of the stress that it will cause the plant, since it is newly planted.

Thanks for the info!

I do not care for the looks of the roots...but I will leave them there for now. I am sure they are providing needed nurishment to the plants.

The plants have had a tough life...so I will not mess then them for a few months.

I'm just glad to find out that this is normal.

WC

Actually the top photo looks like a type of sword plant runner, with baby plants on it. You should cut the runner and plant the babies when they have enough roots formed to stay put.

It looks like you're fighting beartd algae?

I am battling Beard, Hair, and Unicellular Algae!

It is a battle I am losing fast!

I'm going to try to add more CO2..and hope that fixes things a little.

I have a Phosphate test kit on order...

And....I will be adding a 50:50 mix of Tap and RO/DI Water..as soon as I get time to set the RO/DI system up!

Thanks for the IDs and what to do with them....I will give them a month or so before I cut them.

Thanks

WC

Back
Top Bottom