Strange Tank Discovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IowaGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On rare occasions in the past I would see a very fine, hair-like "thing" move through my tank. I'm talking nearly microscopic, no thicker than a human hair, about 1/2" long, white in color. I have seen these move like a snake would through the water. The first time I saw it was during a water change and I thought maybe I just stirred up something and that it wasn't actually anything alive. Weeks later I saw the same thing, but this time I watched closely and it moved from one plant, across open water, and stopped on another. I poked at it, and sure enough, this tiny thing moved to another spot. In all seriousness...this is so tiny it would likely go unseen if you weren't paying attention.

Most recently, and weeks later again, while cleaning my canister filter I found a brown worm-like creature tucked up in a corner of the basket. It was maybe 1/2" long, but thicker and clearly noticeable. When I poked at it, it shrunk up and fell into the sink, then stretched out like you would see a typical earth worm when crawling across the ground (maybe stretched to about an inch in length), then shrunk back to about a 1/2" length. At that point my running water rinsed it down the drain.

Any ideas as to what I have seen? Are these one and the same creature (like baby and adult)? Are you totally creeped out like I am???

Could be nematode worms (aka: detritus worms). Or, if they look somewhat flat like a slug, then maybe planaria. Although most are white.. for the dark one on the filter, not sure. Do you feed any live blackworms? Sometimes they escape being fed on and grow in the tank.

Thanks for the feedback. With your input I did a little research on nematodes and they sound harmless. My fish aren't being attacked and appear to be healthy and active. And the few times I have seen this creature is during water changes or when disturbing my rooted plants.

Regarding the dark colored, more visible worm...I do not feed live food. This is a simple, community tank and I use flakes. I'm guessing maybe it came in on a plant as I just re-did the entire tank about 3 months ago, including plants (my old tank formed a leak at the base).

Now I do have occasional outcrops of snails. Not terrible, though. I pondered if this was a naked snail that left their shell behind :)

When you get new plants if you want to keep snails, eggs, algae, and other unwanted hitch hikers out of your tank mix up a solution of 1 part hydrogen peroxide 3% to 3 or 4 parts of water and soak plants at least 20 minutes. Don't rinse after the soak just plant them.

Hoping to contribute, and not hijack, but after re-scaping our 6G Cyl Tank I was cleaning and sifting the gravel I removed from the tank and found two of these

20130902_122019.jpg

I'm assuming they are leeches. They are both about an inch+ long and swim like a snake. There is no discernible head or tail, but they do attach (suck) onto things.

Last edited:
Wow that's crazy! Let me know if you ID those... Got me curious. You can always stick your finger in there and see if they want you for lunch!!! Haha...j/k on that last part. ;)

They could be detris leaches. We had them years ago in the small pond. Then after a couple years they disappeared. If you research enough you should be able to turn up some type of ID on them.

Back
Top Bottom