Stuck and Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sijansaur

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had my tank planted and setup for about a month. I am confused because after what I believed was a normal cycling tank, I am now at a loss. I have a 20 gallon long, mid to heavily planted tank. My ammonia and Nitrite levels went from about 5ppm and 20ppm respectively down to 0.25ppm and 0-0.5ppm and my Nitrates have gone from 0ppm to somewhere between 80-160ppm. I have done three, 25% water changes and one 50% water change in the past week. My Nitrate levels aren't dropping at all even with the PWC's. I also have some slightly green water that is noticeable upon changing but not upon observation of the tank. I am currently fighting a BBA outbreak and have been dosing my tank with Flourish Excel 3x week to combat it as well as removing any dead/decaying plant substance and scrubbing my plants with my fingers and to remove excess algae. I don't know why my nitrate levels aren't going down and it's frustrating that I'm cutting more than half of my plant stock to remove the algae and my nitrates seem too high to support fish. I have two ghost shrimp living in the tank happily so I'm confused if this indicative of a potential incorrect reading or that the shrimp are just very resilient? I'm following the instructions very clearly on my API test kit and not waiting more than 5 minutes. Any advice is appreciated as I'm just incredibly frustrated. Pictures of my tank will be attached. First photo is from today, the other three are from last week before the 50% water change today.

Attachments

• 20170609_231623.jpg
    20170609_231623.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20170527_224122.jpg
    20170527_224122.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20170527_224137.jpg
    20170527_224137.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170527_224147.jpg
    20170527_224147.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 81
So some thoughts. Excel for algae use in a tank with anacharis has to be spot on sprays with a syringe. Excel kills anacharis in normal doses. I can see some looks melted or dead currently.

To me that's more of a lightly planted tank. But you have probably an issue with some decomposition somewhere happening. I would remove dead plants, trim major BBA outbreaks and work on your photoperiod.

How long are your lights on? Are uou using siestas? Whats your dose for excel currently? How are you seeding for your cycle?

So, I'm currently dosing excel at the recommended dosage on the bottle, so roughly 2mL for the tank 3x weekly. The entire middle of the tank has small ludwigia after cutting all the decomp pieces that were reaching to my light. Tank is on for 6-8 hours daily, no off days. I use root tabs for my Amazon swords and I'm feeding the tank with a pinch of tetrafin fish food. Also, funny enough, the Anacharis was dead before I started the flourish dosing and has since revived, self consumed the dead parts, and has grown new nodes off the dead areas and has spread all around the tank.

Hmm. Would you consider a 4hr on 4 off 4 on. That will increase your growth and cut back algae.

Did you find any other item decomposing?

I could try 4H photo periods on days that I'm home, however 3x/week I'm routinely gone for 16H straight and my light doesn't seem to function well with a timer. I'll look towards getting another one to try it out though. I've seen some posts saying I should be putting 5mL/10G to combat algae growth and to put it in either when I'm turning off the lights or two hours prior to turning them on. What's your take on excel dosing in that regard?

Fixing the cause is better than treating algae. E-cel can help. I use it in one tank... for carbon. Now I do put it in an oral syringe (free at my pharmacy) and spray 1ml directly on algae sometimes.

So if I were you I would just check out a new timer and but your lights on it. Each of mine cost about 6 USD. It takes control of your photo period and removes that element.what does yours do on a timer?

Then if you want more carbon double check your plants are okay with excel and dose.

The timer I have toggles the night setting instead of just cycling it on the full bright setting. I have an old pin timer and I'm not sure why this happens. I add the excel to help with the growth of the other plants. I suppose I can cut back to maintenance for that and go buy a timer. You say 4H on, 4H off, repeat?

My recommendation is to start with a 4 - 4 - 4 mix. The 4 hours is to reduce the ability for algae to get their metabolism going. The next four is to recharge the CO2 in the water naturally. The last 4 is for plants to use that recharged CO2 and grow. Live - recharge - grow. Basically the concept.

The timer I have toggles the night setting instead of just cycling it on the full bright setting. I have an old pin timer and I'm not sure why this happens. I add the excel to help with the growth of the other plants. I suppose I can cut back to maintenance for that and go buy a timer. You say 4H on, 4H off, repeat?
Hmm I would test your light with plugging in and unplugging. Going to blue isn't really helpful.

By the way... I use new pin timers lol.

I just got a timer and set it up on the rotating 4/4/4. I will see if all goes well and keep you updated. Should I still dose excel and continue feeding the tank with flakes every few days?

I just got a timer and set it up on the rotating 4/4/4. I will see if all goes well and keep you updated. Should I still dose excel and continue feeding the tank with flakes every few days?

Yep keep to your normal routine [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom