Stupid plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tweitzel79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings all,

Week 1 of the new tank has claimed many lives. From 4 glowies and 2 guppies down to a single guppy. The first guppy died while getting stuck in a silk plant. I never really liked silk plants, but my wife insisted.

I'm leaning towards getting some real plants, but we have rock as a bed so we could have the glowing rocks for the blue light. Will real plants survive in rock, or will we have to use sand?

Any recommendations on which plants to use?

Use plants that don't have to be planted! Tied to rocks or wood.

Anubias, Java Fern, African water ferns. Lots of sizes and shapes.

Greetings all,

Week 1 of the new tank has claimed many lives. From 4 glowies and 2 guppies down to a single guppy. The first guppy died while getting stuck in a silk plant. I never really liked silk plants, but my wife insisted.

I'm leaning towards getting some real plants, but we have rock as a bed so we could have the glowing rocks for the blue light. Will real plants survive in rock, or will we have to use sand?

Any recommendations on which plants to use?

Did you properly cycle your tank... Fish can die in a new tank and that could be from ammonia toxicity do to an improperly cycled tank. ( Ok I researched some of your other posts sounds like you are on top of this after a mis hap)

Also Not sure how your water is in general but in some places the water is too hard and needs to be softened.

Plants require light that can produce photosynthesis. So if you go with live plants you will need to ensure the light you have is capable of plant growth.

This comes with new challenges as now any light that can grow a plant can also grow algae, and algae is unsightly. You are now need to educate yourself some on the balance of light CO2 and nutrients. Even in the low tech tanks you will need ot be able to understand the basics.

If this is something that interests you step into the plant forum ask your questions

Back
Top Bottom