substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
play sand from a garden centre imo. cheaper would be dirt, but nowhere near as safe or pretty imo.
rinse the sand or whatever extremely well and many things would work, even pool filter sand. aquarium sand is common and can be cheap, have a look at black sand!
dirt is best for planted, but gravel and sand is ok as far as i know as long as the plants are in their dirt cups. x

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
play sand from a garden centre imo. cheaper would be dirt, but nowhere near as safe or pretty imo.
rinse the sand or whatever extremely well and many things would work, even pool filter sand. aquarium sand is common and can be cheap, have a look at black sand!
dirt is best for planted, but gravel and sand is ok as far as i know as long as the plants are in their dirt cups. x

Dirt? are u crazy? The firtilizer in the dirt would kill the fish let alone watever other chemicals are in it. Also dirt can muck up the water for sometime and clog filtration systems

Dirt, if you use the right type, is great. It's also cheap. MTS or miracle gro organic choice would be the only two I'd recommend. I use miracle gro in mine and love it, though it does cause an algae bloom for the first month or two until it mineralizes.

PFS from a pool supply store is another great option... and what I'd recommend if you're looking for something cheap and easy

i didnt mean grab dirt from the garden!!! lots of aquarists use dirt and it is mucky but the right type is fine!!! plus it is great for planting.

My bog tank runs dirt which is a mixture of peatmoss and sand. Relatively cheap, I bought some dry peatmoss from a nursery and went to our local quarry and picked up sand. Not sure how that would work in an all aquatic tank however?

if this is your first fish tank you should buy flora max from petsmart or petco
putting dirt in a tank is good for plants but can be dangerous for fish if care is not taken to water quality.

it costs about 17$.
you might also want to make a DIY Co2 soda bottle.

Unless you're really going to get into plants, substrate is actually largely irrelevant, imo. Plants will grow fine in tacky color gravel or ADA aquasoil. If you're just going to be getting simple, common plants, pick a substrate you like and fertilize appropriately.

Blueangel4730 said:
I have a DIY CO2 and gravel, just want a more natural look

You can't get anymore natural then gravel and rocks of various sizes without harming any fish

mfdrookie516 said:
IMO, sand looks more natural than gravel. Maybe that's just because every lake and river I've ever been to has had sand/dirt

Ya but sand can be a pain to clean. Also the sand from rivers and lakes is small gravel and silt

Blueangel4730 said:
How would I clean sand without sucking it up? My fiddler crabs wouldnt mistake the little grains for food would they?

The fiddler crabs will be fine with it
& with a hose just go over it about half an inch over the sand
It's some what a pain but well worth it

Back
Top Bottom