Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to set-up my 30 gallon, but I don't know the nutrient content of Shult's Aquatic Soil. I used this because it is like a cheap alternative to flourite, it is just a little light. I was going to mix it with sand but I don't like the look.Is there any other cheap alternative?

Schultz is inert so you might have to get your plants going, either through root tabs or water column dosing (or both), depending on which plants you want. It has high CEC meaning it can keep introduced nutrients available to the plant roots, and measures as well or better than commercial substrates. I have not tried them, but I believe these things are true of Turface MVP and Soilmaster Select as well.

A layer of pea gravel over Schultz will help hold plants down.

I did some thinking and I made up my own substrate.Starting from bottom:1.5 in. of Shult's Aquatic Soil,.5 in. of potting soil mixed with some laterite,and on top 1 in. of sand.Under the sand will be the nutrient rich/'lighter' substrates,and on top is the sand which isn't deep enough to restrict nutrient flow.Will this be okay?

I'd expect some mixing over time but sounds like a good start! The sand on top will tend to sink below the lighter shult's soil.

You can find Turface at most landscaping/lawn centers. Soilmaster can be found or ordered from lesco.com. We had a pallet (2 tons) delivered in in the S.W. Ohio area. Its a charcoal color. Most lesco distributors (There's one in every major city), carry it in stock but not the "black". Turface black is also hard to find but the red isnt. It will run about $10.00 for a 50lb bag. More than enough to do a 75 gallon and a 30 gallon. Great CEC and since its fired clay, a source of iron as well.

The soil soil mixed with laterite should be your first layer at the bottom. Suggest you read up on soaking soil before using it in your aquarium. Topsoil is generally prefered to potting soil because it has less urea as I understand.

Yeah,the soil I intend to use has been soaking in water right out side for about 5 days.I guess I can move that layer there but will the roots reach there to get enough nutrients?

The roots will use it. Also do not forget the CEC thing about the top layers. Most who use a soil layer plant slow growth tanks to avoid constant uprooting and messing with water chemistry. I am doing a pumice and sphagnum peat/mulm/carbon layer under about two inches of ADA AquaSoil to try Amanos methods for a little less coin. It is good to keep such things under a thick layer of substrate to prevent it from directly leeching into the water column.

Some folks use sand and soil, some use sand peat and soil, some use
Onyx and peat some use Flourite and peat.
I prefer the Onyx and sand mix over the long term.

The substrates are roughly 10cm or so deep. The bottom is 2 cm of
ground peat moss that has been wetted and soak and a day or two. If
you opt for the soil method, soak this for 2-3 weeks. This will leech
out and nitrify the NH4 to NO3. NH4 is the enemy and will cause algae
if it's rate of production or addition is too great for the tank.

Use easy to grow plants and plant heavily.
This is the same in any tank...

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back
Top Bottom