Substrate and Background Plant Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeldmansFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi people! Just a few questions,

1. Anyone have any good suggestions on what some good substrates are that are sand (This is important), black, and offer some benefit to the plants in the tank?

2. What are some cool background plants that aren't too difficult to take care of and are big and leafy? (Already have java ferns + wisteria)

Thanks! :fish1:

What lighting and bulbs are you using and what size tank as that will determine the type of plants you can grow. Also are you using any ferts?

Eco complete fine grade is really nice looking and beneficial to plants. And corymbosa 'stricta' has grown well for me under many different lighting levels with a little attention.

Rivercats I am using a single bulb T5 39w on a 30 gallon tank. Ferts being Leaf Zone, Flourish Excel, and Flourish Comprehensive.

Zimmanski is the corymbrosa 'stricta' plant your talking about the one in your profile pic?

I only can reply to #2. You want a leafy plant that doesn't produce too much algae. I like doing a mix between leafy and smaller plants. It adds variety

I only can reply to #2. You want a leafy plant that doesn't produce too much algae. I like doing a mix between leafy and smaller plants. It adds variety

Plants don't produce Algae. If they thrive they compete with Algae.

I just use Tahitian Moon Sand with Root Caps.
Or Black Diamond Blasting sand with Root Caps.

Even fancy "planted tank" substrates get depleted and then you still have to add root caps.

A Sword could be nice.
Or I've had Ludwigia repens
I love Crypts as well.

Rivercats I am using a single bulb T5 39w on a 30 gallon tank. Ferts being Leaf Zone, Flourish Excel, and Flourish Comprehensive.

Zimmanski is the corymbrosa 'stricta' plant your talking about the one in your profile pic?

That puts you in the low light range so those ferts should do fine.

Oh my apologies! I did know that they don't produce algae I meant you wouldn't want a plant that has to battle too much (if you know what I mean)

Rivercats I am using a single bulb T5 39w on a 30 gallon tank. Ferts being Leaf Zone, Flourish Excel, and Flourish Comprehensive. Zimmanski is the corymbrosa 'stricta' plant your talking about the one in your profile pic?

Yes, the stricta is the green background plant. I started with a single small tube of it from petsmart and now it fills my tank and I've pruned and sold a lot of it since it grows so well

ive never used it, but would like to if i get the chance since i like seachem products, black onyx sand by seachem.
as for plants, how about anubias?

Back
Top Bottom