Substrate and Live Plants... What do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelg210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a small tank, 5.5 gallon with a single betta fish.

I have given up on those drop in bulbs, which almost never grow.

I was looking at buying some live plants, which are supposed to be guaranteed snail free... however, do not have the supporting substrate(?)...

I have seen large bags of substrate with beneficial bacteria in pet stores, but they are much larger than I would need. Cannot seem to find them in a smaller size.

1. How much and what type would I need on the bottom of the tank, I am thinking like perhaps at least 1/2 inch of the very fine gravel type so the plants could anchor themselves and survive. Also I have the large marble looking (smooth) gravel presently, and was thinking of putting it back on top of the substrate... (I call it substrate because I assume it is the soil like gravel / material that lines the tank bottom).

2. Will I require lighting? It would have to be a stand alone light, as my tank does not have a hood, and I have not seen one that fits a 5.5 G tank. Or are there plants that do well without lighting?

3. What type of plants would be best, or does it matter?

4. Would I need to add anything to the water for plant food, and does it affect the fish or is the fish waste food itself for the plants?

The "Live Sand" you see is for marine tanks. Don't use that. A bag of flourite or eco-complete will be all the substrate you need. Anythign really will do. Pea gravel is fine. Those "Snail-Free" plants you see in those plastic tubes are mostly terrestrial plants. The only true ones they sell are "Java Fern" and "Amazone Sword Plant". The rest are junk.

The "Live Sand" you see is for marine tanks. Don't use that. A bag of flourite or eco-complete will be all the substrate you need. Anythign really will do. Pea gravel is fine. Those "Snail-Free" plants you see in those plastic tubes are mostly terrestrial plants. The only true ones they sell are "Java Fern" and "Amazone Sword Plant". The rest are junk.

+1 but sometimes they might have anubias lol.

besides snails are not really bad for a aquarium.

1 like crepe said it doesnt matter too much. you are better off just going with something super cheaper and getting a better light then spending the money on "plant substrate" the thing is 5.5 is a small tank and most of the bags you will find will be more then you need. i would suggest something like pool filter sand. pea gravel can even work i used to have it in all my tanks. 2.50 at lowes for 50 pounds. though i like something a little smaller.

2 plants require light. i would look at walmart for a desk top or a clip on light. this will prob be your best bet. you would just have to get a daylight cfl bulb for it.

3 you want to stick to low light plants. java ferns anubias moss and crypts. if you need help finding them let me know.

4 low light tanks you can get away with just light and water. no ferts needed for the most part.

ok, all set with a hood... how many watts for the bulb(S) hood holds 2

2 plants require light. ... you would just have to get a daylight cfl bulb for it.

3 you want to stick to low light plants. java ferns anubias moss and crypts. if you need help finding them let me know.

4 low light tanks you can get away with just light and water. no ferts needed for the most part.

Gonna go p/u some lights once you tell me if there is a specific wattage / volts.

Also, can I add plants now or should i wait til the tank is "cycled"

thanks
mjg

You probably want something like 5-10 watts. Anything that plugs in in the US is going to be 120V, so you'll be fine there.

I'd wait to put the plants in until your cycle is done, because the plants will absorb the nitrogen out of the water, and slow down the cycle.

Gonna go p/u some lights once you tell me if there is a specific wattage / volts.

Also, can I add plants now or should i wait til the tank is "cycled"

thanks
mjg
krap is wrong plants speed up the cycle. the sooner you put them in there the better.

i would go to walmart and pick up a 13w daylight bulb and see how well that works. it also depends on what you want to grow also.

I guess I forgot about the bacteria that tag along on plants, and also that there is an abundant supply of ammonia ><.

I'm wondering, do plants slow down cycling with fish, because I could have sworn plants are bad in some sort of way for something 8O

Nope, plants will take in some ammonia which actually helps when you are cycling with fish. Once you have nitrates, they will take some of those in as well, but that is a good thing. :)

Plants and Filter Question Also

Nope, plants will take in some ammonia which actually helps when you are cycling with fish. Once you have nitrates, they will take some of those in as well, but that is a good thing.

krap is wrong plants speed up the cycle. the sooner you put them in there the better.

i would go to walmart and pick up a 13w daylight bulb and see how well that works. it also depends on what you want to grow also.

K, so I should add the plants asap? Was gonna get an Amazon Sword and a Java Fern, these have been reccommended...

Also, I am using an AquaClear 20 filter in a 10G tank, (yeah, finally got the wife's approval to break down and upgrade)...

I am using the sponge, an ammo/carbon pack (50/50) and the ceramic rings aka bio boosting material.... also threw in a litte polyfiber.

Should I remove the ammonia / carbon pack and go with straight carbon. Does the ammo pak neutralize ammonia or eliminate it... i.e. is it like ammo-lock, where it is still present for bacteria or does the NH4 become inert and therefore disrupt the cycle... does anyone know on this?

:?:

Last edited:
Just take it all out and put in some more polyfil. The ammo stuff will definitely slow down (even stall) your cycle, and the carbon should only be there if you're trying to get rid of meds or something like that. The carbon will also absorb some stuff the plants need.

For smaller bags of rock, check your local hardware store/garden center. I work in a garden center, and we sell all sorts of little bags of rock, including pea gravel.

EDIT: and I mean a proper garden center or garden center, not lowes, home depot, walmart, etc.

Last edited:
yea they will out grow a 55 gallon tank. like i said look into the tropica sword or parva sword. these stay smaller and will work in that size of tank.

Got Plants, Do I Need More Fish?

I am cycling with a single male betta. Long story short, it was a gift for my daughter’s birthday from her cousin. Started out in a small 2L bowl, and I have been steadily improving the poor little guy’s environment.

I have a 10G Tank w/ Hood and 2 10 Watt Sun Lights. AquaClear 20 Filter w/ Factory Sponge, Poly Fill, and Ceramic Bio Max. Just added several plants, 1 is a small anubia, the other 5 or 6 are 4 – 6 inch plants, long, thin pointed green leaves with yellow-white edges. I will have to go back and find out which kind they are.

Either way, I doubt a single betta can create enough waste to sustain the plants / substrate etc.

Should I perhaps add a few compatible fish to assist in the process? Tank is currently cycling, so don’t wish to make things worse re: NH//4, NO2 and NO3. Ammonia is currently under control with PWCs as needed. No sign of Nitrites yet.

well many low light plants will be fine with out adding anything. they are slow growers. i woudlnt add anything until the cycle is over. after that you might want to look maybe into some dwarf cories or small other fish. though its hit and miss with a betta.

ok, I need help finding them

besides snails are not really bad for a aquarium.

.... delete 1 & 2 for brevity:

Ok, I give up, i could not find them at any LFS, finally succumbed to a very small anubia, and ended up with some bogus ribbon grass or some crap dis-guising itself as an aquatic.

Turns out that was a waste of money from what I have read / learned.

I really don't want the snails though, which is why I went with the little hoodwinking plastic containers that guarantee snail free.

Back
Top Bottom