Substrate change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpr233

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, I have a 72 gal bow. It is moderate planted. I want to change my gravel from white to black. Which substrate is goo to use and how do I do it without getting a lot of spikes in the cycle?

Thx for the help!!

Hi guys, I have a 72 gal bow. It is moderate planted. I want to change my gravel from white to black. Which substrate is goo to use and how do I do it without getting a lot of spikes in the cycle?

Thx for the help!!

Is your tank already cycled? If so, then you shouldn't have a problem. Just place your decor in buckets of old tank water while you change out, and make sure you keep your filter media wet. Switch out your substrate, then return everything and fill it up. You will want to check your parameters pretty closely for a couple of weeks, but you should be fine. Most of your beneficial bacteria is on your filter media. I've changes substrates several times with no issues or fish loss.
I've used sand, gravel, and eco complete, and by far my favorite is eco complete black. Not only does it look fantastic, it's good for plants. It is pricey though, but you could always buy several bags, you'd probably need at least 4 maybe 5 for that size tank, and mix in some black gravel to stretch it out.

Last edited:
Yes my tank is already cycled. I will change the substrate by the end of August since there is a big sale in my LFS. And yes I was thinking on doing Eco complete black.

Thx for the info

Back
Top Bottom