SUBSTRATE: Flourite+Gravel+Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With only ambient levels of CO2 you'll want to make sure that your light doesn't exceed Medium light or you risk massive algae problems down the line. How much light do you have and on what size aquarium?

Most any moss will do well with medium light, so just pick on that you like and grows well for you.

OMG THANK YOU FOR THE XMAS Moss suggestion! that's exactly what i was looking for aesthetically!

B-E-A-UTIFUL!

will it grow on wood?

will it grow without CO2?

i have:
Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 4 x 24W & Lunar Lights - 24 in.

is this a medium level source of light?

yea. discus will grow huge. im looking for a female german ram right now, and have had no luck... they would be my main fish... other than them i may scatter the tank with other community fish. i love the german ram colors.

what other types of fish have their coloring?

You're right on teh edge for not needing CO2 at 2.4 wpg. It could really go either way.

The Xmas moss requires very little....it'll do fine.

i just went to another LFS... they had this thing called "liquid CO2".

it was some sort of drip that diffuses into the water, comes in a 3 pack, and is toxic to crustaceans..

any thoughts?

that is similar to Seachem Excel. THere is a lot of info on it. It works well for some plants and causes others to melt. I am sure Purrbox can fill us in on which plants dont like it. I know for sure anacharis and vals dont like it and perhaps dwarf sag.

i just went to another LFS... they had this thing called "liquid CO2".

it was some sort of drip that diffuses into the water, comes in a 3 pack, and is toxic to crustaceans..

any thoughts?

I wouldn't use that, if for no other reason than it is toxic to crustaceans. As a 3 pack it's probably going to be very expensive. If you want to go with liquid carbon supplementation, then I'd recommend that you use Flourish Excel. Since you've decided to go with Christmas Moss instead of Riccia you should have no problems with it. Flourish Excel is only problematic when used with Anacharis, Vals, or Riccia. It is particularly useful in smaller aquariums where carbon supplementation is a borderline necessity.

I finally did it!

so i just replaced my substrate and i DID NOT go the pH buffering sand route.

i put a stocking full of my old gravel, put about 2 gallons of the old water back in, and let all the dust settle.

everyone seems to be happy, though, one of my stubborn clown loach's is hiding under the filter.

those loach's are s--o hard to net!

is there anything i should do to encourage a good cycle?

how long do i have to leave that ugly stocking in the tank?

how long do i have to wait until i can add more galaxy rasboras and 3 ottos?

Back
Top Bottom