Substrate for Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

segrayson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am getting ready to set up a 40 gallon breeder and I am looking for appropriate substrate (sand) for some false julii cories. I have read about pool filter sand, play sand, and the sand for plants (ecocomplete and flourite). From what I understand, the sands made for plants are too rough for cories, play sand compacts too much, and some people argue against the safety of PFS. I saw a new substrate Soft Belly Soil (SBS) offered from aquaticplants.com and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. I want to make sure that I get the right substrate to protect the bellies and barbels on these little guys. What are your experiences? I would prefer to get something that is less expensive, but would be willing to spend a little more to get this right. Thanks for any and all input!

Sarah

For almost every thread of someone blaming rough substrate on cory health problems, theres someone that will swear by the same substrate. Flourite is especially like that.

I personally think that it's largely people blaming their substrate rather than their bad tank hygiene.

You could get some cheap PETCO sand, it's soft and looks good.
I thick it like $16 for 20 lbs which isn't a bad deal.

Just my opinion, it sounds like you want sand and thats fine, but I am just going to say that I keep corys on gravel without any issue what-so-ever. I have also talked to plenty of other cory keepers with the same experience. No belly scratches ever. No barbel injuries ever. Just my experience and what I have gathered from other people who keep cories. Its cool if you want gravel instead of sand though. Just saying I am not convinced most of the "dangerous sand" arguments are any more founded than the "gravel damages barbels" argument. I agree with aqua chem about under-lying issues causes problems but substrates taking the blame.
Opinions aside, I have never heard of the soft-belly soil, sorry. I have had pool filter sand recommended over play sand more than once by good tank-keepers.:)

EDIT: Just so the OP knows, I should have specified that I am talking about the small, colored gravel commonly sold. But, it should still be checked for sharp edges. I have not found that to be an issue with any of the brands of small, decorative gravel I have ever examined. I have several brands in my tank, nothing special or expensive, and have not found any of it to be an issue.

Rough gravel certainly can cause isues, though I'd agree with aqua_chem that most of the time, it's an excuse rather than a cause... much like NTD or DGD being blamed when it was actually poor water quality or something of that sort.

I've got cories with floramax/flourite mix. It's the larger grained floramax, not the small grain that most eco complete has. I've yet to have any issues, of course, I keep my tanks in tip top shape (health wise... not looks wise haha). I'd say to go with what you want, as it is your tank and you need to be happy with it.

I have several tanks at this time and I do weekly water changes and pruning of plants. I fishlessly cycled and have had these going since February and haven't had any casualties yet. Not that I am not watching for problems, but I am pretty strict in my maintenance and water testing schedule. My 29 gallon has flourite in it at this time and there are some pieces that are pretty rough. I had cories in there until my Kribs started spawning and they seemed fine, I just thought that they might like the sand better....

Back
Top Bottom