Substrate for 'future' planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PutAwayWet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the planning stage of a new tank and would like it to be planted... just maybe not right away. Would there be any problem with using Flourite or Eco-complete right from the start with no live plants? Seems like it would be easier to put it in right from the beginning than change over later. I'm 70% sure I'll plant within 6-12 months... I think. :roll:

Thanks for the help!

John

u sure can!! the eco may loose some of its minerals that the plants use but not alot. it shouldnt effect your water at all. eco looks amazing with or without plants. but plant it as soon as u possibly can casue live plants are always more appealing, to me anyways.

I like the look of eco better than regular gravel, I think it looks more natural. Now that I have eco in my tank people also comment on how the tank looks better than with regular gravel in it. Even if your not ready to plant its best just do it right the first time around. :turn-l:

I wish I knew about the better substrates before I started. I would have gotten at least Red Flourite and Onyx black sand. Eco would have been even better. If you know you are going to get plants and get into a heavy planted tank, absolutely get a better substrate, you won't regret it.

I ended up setting up my tank with gravel and then changed it out to eco about a week later.

I forget who, but someone mentioned that a quick and somewhat easy way to get the gravel out was to make a scoop out of a gallon milk jug (washed out of course) and put some holes in the lid to let the water drain out as you scoop up the gravel.

I love the look of eco as well. It is nice to have variations in the size of your substrate and that definitely gives it a more natural look.

In any case, if I knew of eco before I set my tank up again I would have never used gravel. I don't have any plants yet and it doesn't appear to have any affect on the water. My first few fish seem to be doing fine as the tank cycles as well.

i had to completly rip appart and remove everything from my tanks when i switched to eco. i couldnt afford eco when i first set up so i had to go with gravel. i wish eco was cheaper so everone could enjoy it.

mr funktastic said:
i had to completly rip appart and remove everything from my tanks when i switched to eco. i couldnt afford eco when i first set up so i had to go with gravel. i wish eco was cheaper so everone could enjoy it.

Damn right!! I wanted to give this ago in my QT tank just to see what all the fuss was about until I priced it!!! My home made substrate costs $12 for a 75g and works brilliantly.

Would love to try Eco, but not for the $$$

i got a type of black sand that was really nice and completly black like tahetti(sp?) moon sand but it was only 22 bucks(canadian) for 22 pounds. still a little pricy but not considering the moon sand is 39.99 a bag. same as eco. it cost me $90 for the eco in my 20 gal. but that also gave me enough to do my 5 gal to. pricy but you should see the root systems my plants form in the stuff. and the growth is phenominal.

If you're looking for an inexpensive substrate that is excellant for plants, you might want to give Turface MVP a go. It's a very nice Dark Charcoal Grey, and looks nearly identicle to Onyx Sand. Minimal rinsing required and an excellant CEC rating, the ability to store nutrients for plants. Biggest drawback is that it's a bit light, which can make planting interesting. Should work well with most anything that except plants that need an extra fine substrate. At $10 for a 50lb bag it's a steal. Hardest part is located a retailer that carries it. If you contact the manufacturer, they'll be more than happy to let you know who carries it in your area.

I am a huge fan of soil substrate mixed with Vermiculite, topped with sand. It's cheap and very effective, The roots on all my plants go absolutely nuts. and I love the look of the sand on top (It can be a bugger to get glosso going though!!!)

The downside of it is that constant replanting will mess it up (Which isn't too bad, occasionally you just throw down another light layer of sand) Especially when I try to move something like a full grown Echinodorus.

The reason I wanted to try eco was so I could mess around with Aquascaping (definately my weakest skill!) without water clouding but still have similar growth results, but oh well....

Edit: Hey Purrbox, just had a look at Turface - it looks awesome!! Am going to try to track some down for my QT. Don't know how much luck I'll have living in Aus but will give it a shot!

Back
Top Bottom