Substrate for khulis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wanna replace my regular white sand for good substrate with nutrients for plants.

Which should I use that also won't hurt my khulies?

Sharkbait54 said:
Wanna replace my regular white sand for good substrate with nutrients for plants.

Which should I use that also won't hurt my khulies?

Really any type of Flourish Sand or the Carib sea plant sand/substrate. They won't hurt them at all. As long as the substrate is not sharp, you're fine.

Sharkbait54 said:
Excellent which do you prefer?

I have not used either, because I do not feel it's necessary to use special plant substrates and expensive. I hear fluorite/fluorite sand can be very dirty, but it's cool. It breaks down to what you want. The Carib sea and fluorite wil ultimately do the same things for plants.

Well the only reason I'm getting one of those is because they are black.

I have a 28g euro bf, with white sand and every little piece of fish poop/ plant debris shows up. I do weekly water changes but that doesn't help.

I wanna get black sand to replace the white sand or have a combination of the two, and I wanted to go ahead and get a plant friendly substrate while I was at it.

Sharkbait54 said:
Well the only reason I'm getting one of those is because they are black.

I have a 28g euro bf, with white sand and every little piece of fish poop/ plant debris shows up. I do weekly water changes but that doesn't help.

I wanna get black sand to replace the white sand or have a combination of the two, and I wanted to go ahead and get a plant friendly substrate while I was at it.

Yeah I had that same problem in one of my tanks. Makes it look dirty.

This is kinda off topic, but do you plan on removing the kuhlis when you switch?

Sharkbait54 said:
No I'm keeping the khulies.

Sorry I wasnt clear. I meant will you leave them in the tank while you change from the white sand to Carib sea? Or remove them?

One of my tanks is Flourite Black Sand with Tahitian Moon Sand cap. My Cories and Otos and Shrimp like it fine. Should be ok with Kuhlis. The Flourite was a PITA and was very "dusty" for a while, but once the tank cleared it's great. I did add root tabs and I do use liquid ferts weekly.
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube

My other black sand tank is Black Diamond sand blasting sand. It also grows plants and should be ok. It does appear a little sharper?

I was looking at Eco complete substrate it seems ideal for what I need.

Also I've decided to completely replace the white sand because of algae issues.

Hopefully the khulies will be ok with it:)

Sharkbait54 said:
I was looking at Eco complete substrate it seems ideal for what I need.

Also I've decided to completely replace the white sand because of algae issues.

Hopefully the khulies will be ok with it:)

The kuhlis will love it! I can't wait to see how it looks :)

Back
Top Bottom