Substrate for Low Maintenence 10 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys, I randomly won a 10 Gallon aquarium at a raffle at a fish store so I'm thinking about moving my betta out of his 6 gal and into this new tank. I have 1 crypt lutea, 2 banana plants, and some kind of anubias...I think it's undulatus but im not sure. Anyway, I've only ever done gravel substrate. Is there a good type of substrate to get to support these plants?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

banana plants don't get rooted in the substrate and neither do anubias because the rhizome will rot. I attach my anubias to rocks with rubber bands or you can use cotton thread etc. Banana plants i leave sitting on top the substrate. Sand is great and easy to deal with, I recommend pool filter sand. Its pretty clean out of the bad whereas play sand you have to rinse and rinse and rinse some more. If you want black substrate eco-complete is great.

Congrats on winning!

Thanks Brennae! I have definitely been looking at sand because I've thought about getting some pygmy cories (my betta is friendly).

I definitely don't want to do the excessive rinsing so I think I'll go with play sand. Do you have to do a lot of rinsing with eco-complete?

Thanks Brennae! I have definitely been looking at sand because I've thought about getting some pygmy cories (my betta is friendly).

I definitely don't want to do the excessive rinsing so I think I'll go with play sand. Do you have to do a lot of rinsing with eco-complete?

Edit: Hit Send too soon.
Eco-Complete requires no rinsing, pool filter sand may require some rinsing, and play sand requires LOTS of washing and rinsing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Edit: Hit Send too soon.
Eco-Complete requires no rinsing, pool filter sand may require some rinsing, and play sand requires LOTS of washing and rinsing.

Oops, I meant pool filter sand when I said play sand.

Is there a big price difference between eco complete and pool filter sand? And do I have to get them from a fish store or can I go to a hardware store?

Pool filter sand can be purchased anywhere pool supplies are sold. It's off white to a beige color depending on brand. Eco complete is black and comes in chips. Not sure how else to describe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I figured you had them swapped. Pool filter sand should not be too expensive. Not sure of the exact cost.
EC can be expensive. I got it on a killer sale years ago for $9 a bag (20#). Down the street I see the same stuff and an LFS for $26-39 per bag.

Pool filter sand usually runs $20 per 50 lbs in the Chicagoland area. Could be cheaper elsewhere

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. My landlord said I couldn't have any more tanks but she didn't say anything about switching out the small one for a bigger one...so we'll see if she notices lol

Back
Top Bottom