Substrate for my new planted fish tank??? What to get?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divemasterjim

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a salt water reef and fish tank for 3 years and wanted to do a planted fresh water tank for my bedroom. What substrate do I get? Is there something at home depot I can buy? this is all new to me so any thing you guys can tell me will be appreciated
this is what im thinking of getting but would ike to spend less

p_923222_FS12439D.jpg

Check out the Substrate Sticky in the Planted Tank forum. There's lots of information about the various substrates available, which should help you make your decision.

I use pool filter sand, very cheap and natural looking. Easy to clean as well. You just have to either stir up the sand periodically or get some MTS to do it for you.

I personally like Eco-complete. Seems to be doing alright for me, plus I love the black substrate look.

I second Eco-Complete. Its fairly light which makes planting some plants (especially small plants or plants with very few roots) tricky, but it looks great, it doesn't cloud the water at all, and my plants seem to LOVE it.

did u say the eco was light? mine is pretty heavy expicially when all the gravel sized peices make there way to the top. but i do love eco. it has an awesome black colour and all the minerls right in it for u. another popular choice right now is aquasoil amazonia and the powersan mixture. i have heard really good things aboit it and how much easier it makes things to plant. how big of a tank were u planning? what kinds of plants? how much light? did u want to dose? ground cover or no ground cover? these are all very important to starting your tank. if u make a new post describing what u would like to do we can all help u out. a planted tank can rival a reef tank in both beatuy and difficulty but it all depends how far u want to go.

I am trying the fluorite, only been in one of my 10gal tanks for a week now, I can't say how great the plants are taking to it, although some greens are really becoming brilliant - just a FYI; there is a LOT of sediment that will cloud your water for a LONG time unless you really rinse. I didn't rinse thoroughly, and I couldn't see my own hand in the water 2 days later, so I tried removing all my feeders - that was fun! NOT! and rinsed for 40minutes, and still didn't get all the reddish clay sediment out, but the next day it's crystal clear.

I would suggest anything that has any type of nutirent base. I hate my gravel for plants, especially for anything that doesn't put out a true root system. If you want a ground cover, and if you get bit by the bug, you will, get Eco, the aquasand or onyx sand. Fluorite could work if mixed with the onyx sand or maybe powersand I don't know. Just get a good substrate if you can, you won't regeret it.

Back
Top Bottom