Substrate for planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rush03

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm pretty new to planted but I was wondering if most/all plants will require plant substrate? I'm trying to start a planted tank but seeing how my tank is already established I would rather not have to drain it to put soil under my gravel.

no, it's beneficial to a degree, but not necessary by any means. regular old gravel will work fine, it can be a pain to get stuff planted sometimes though.

You don't have to drain. I started with regular gravel, then after having limited success with the plants, added some flourite. I just dug up plants, removed some gravel, replanted and replaced gravel around plant with flourite. I did this while doing water change, so mess was minimal. The water got cloudy from the flourite but it cleared up quickly.

Then during every water change I would remove some gravel and replace with flourite near the plants...I probably have 50/50 flourite/gravel now.

I noticed a difference. Plants are definitely rooted/growing better.

Last edited:
If you wanted to add soil to an established tank, you could mix organic potting soil and water to make mud, then freeze the mud in an ice cube tray. You can then slice up the mud cubes and place them under your existing substrate.

Not too much freezy mud all at once, of course :)

That's really creative! I might give that a try. Thanks for the idea.

I really like that idea. We are thinking about adding plants to one of our tanks, I think I just might add soil the frozen cube way. How much soil is ideal?

Back
Top Bottom