Substrate for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keybler

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a substrate that doesn't need to be vaccummed? What type would is the best? I like the color of pebles.

Thanks Keith

It'd be really hard to vacuum in a lot of planted tanks simply because there's no open space to vacuum...more or less no substrate needs to be vacuumed you just need to be deligent with your water changes and also make sure you suck up loose debris.

All substrate should be vacuumed at some point, preferably during PWC's to remove excess food, waste which will just help keep your water cleaner. However, many members ... myself included ... do not vacuum where the plants are. The ammo that produce by the excess food and waste can be used by the plants.

Most substrates are ok for plants ... the question is how high end do you want to go on substrate. Some plants require more nutrients thus maybe a mineralized soil is the way to go. However, I find Pool Filter Sand works great. It's small enough for roots to anchor, and just large enough not to cloud if disturb. In the end it's really up to what look you like most.

I'm thinking about down grading from a 55ga to a 29 gallon. I'm thinking the amount of plants and diftwood I currrently have will fill a good precent of the floor bottom. Vaccumming will be almost out of the question if I make the move.

I don't like the sand idea. But was thinking of a substrate that will help the plants in one way or another. I have these little black pebbles, thinking of soemthing like river pebbles.

havn't looked much into soil. But if its all pretty much the same, seems easyer to use what I currently have.

Thanks

Keybler said:
havn't looked much into soil. But if its all pretty much the same, seems easyer to use what I currently have.

Thanks

Not all soil is the same, substrate like fluorite and Eco-complete have minerals in them that help plants. As long as you aren't going to be doing a high tec set up you should be ok with your current substrate. Or you could layer that over some fluorite/ecocomplete.

As far as gravel vacuuming goes, I'm on the same page. I don't vacuum in my 20 long planted, it's too much of a hassle. And the plants just break down the ammonia that's created. So I don't think it's necessary.

There are many options. You can ask folks on the forum or you can google them yourself:

I know $$$ comes first so I'll go ahead and list some options and prices:

ADA Aquasoil: 30 dollars per 9L ( Just enough for a 20 high)
Fluval Stratum: 35 dollars per 8 kilos (Enough for a 20 long, optimal for a 20 high)
Carib sea eco complete: 18 dollars per bag (takes ~1.5 bags to fill a 20 long)
Seachem flourite: 19 per enough for a 20 high or 20 long
Carib sea flora max: Almost the same exact thing as eco comp: 17 dollars per bag

If plants take up a good percentage, then your OK anyway as they'll handle the excess waste.

That's the beauty about PFS, you can put a layer of gravel on top as the sand would stay below it. River pebbles would be a great top layer to help hide sand and give the tank that natural look. You get it's "anchor" abilities but don't have to settle for the look if you don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom