Substrate for Planted Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danielleosaur

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
I'm planning to make my new 55 gallon tank a planted tank but I'm a little confused on what substrates are okay. I wanted to use pool filter sand because I plan on getting some corydoras. But I've been seeing mixed answers on whether this is okay or not. Will pool filter sand combined with root tabs be okay for some low light plants? Thank you!:thanks:

I am loving my new dirted tank. It was quite affordable to set up. I used a $4 bag of MGOC soil and bought black blasting abrasive (Black diamond from Tractor Supply $8 for 80lbs) it is coal slag, so rinse it and its good to go, mineralize the soil. All my plants really seem to love it!

If you consider yourself a beginner, I would be careful with the idea of a planted tank. I tried to dive into myself and after hearing some failure stories, I decided to shy away as I kinda wanted something to calm my nerves. It depends on which low light plants you're planning to do, in my opinion, Amazon Swords, Most crypts, and Java fern, anubias etc should be fine in a tank with pool filter sand and root tabs all around.

If you don't get what you're looking for you could look into dirting or planted tank substrate.

If you want to jump straight into planted tank substrate and are looking for cheap, I just purchased flora max- Carib sea (same makers of Eco complete) from pet smart, it's on sale for like 14 bucks for 12 pounds. I plan on mixing the substrate with black sand, the only issue is the cleaning process of this substrate.

I'm not ruling out dirting your tank, I'm all for the idea, but I'm sure we all can agree that it's stressful and can cause a few headaches if a mistake is made.
Whatever you go with, I wish you luck.

Imo it's alright to jump right into a planted tank. Research research and more research! I feel like I've learned more biology through a planted tank than I had in school. Knowledge is key - I suggest going to different places for ideas on how you want to do your planted tank as everyone has different experiences.

Personally, my current favourite is ada aquasoil. My plants exploded and my corydoras are healthy as ever, since the substrate is soft (it's basically balls of dirt). I didn't cap it with anything as it looks nice and natural.

Otherwise, I'm sure pool filter sand with root tabs will be fine! When I first started I basically used some gaudy aquarium gravel that came with the aquarium set with liquid ferts and my plants were fine - they just grow a lot slower but that's sort of how low-tech does :p

Hello!
I'm planning to make my new 55 gallon tank a planted tank but I'm a little confused on what substrates are okay. I wanted to use pool filter sand because I plan on getting some corydoras. But I've been seeing mixed answers on whether this is okay or not. Will pool filter sand combined with root tabs be okay for some low light plants? Thank you!:thanks:

Cories love sand, in fact it is recommended. You could "dirt" your tank and cap it with sand. that works out well for a lot of folks.

Woah woah woah, I'm sorry I just realized in the beginning I said to not jump into a planted tank. I take that back, I meant to say dirted tank*

Planted tanks imo are the best thing to start with.

I am also somewhat new to planted tanks. I went to Tractor Supply and bought a bag of Black Diamond Blasting Abrasive (sand). I chose the fine grade. You have to rinse it WELL. And when I say rinse, I mean rinse and rinse and rinse (you get the idea). There was a very helpful YouTube video I used for reference.
I knew enough to know the sand did not contain enough ferts so I have added red clay and root tabs. The bag was 50 lbs and cost about $9.
I plan to start a planted tank with dirt but we are getting ready to move and no way am I starting that and then have to think about moving it. I have 2 swords, anacharis, jungle val, water wisteria, one java fern and some unknown plant that a friend gave me. The plants are doing well. I'm almost 3 weeks in and have new growth. I have purchased Excel, Potassium and Iron to dose the water as well and I am happy with the substrate purchase. You have gotten lots of replies so your most likely well informed by now. But, I thought I would post my experience as well. Especially since I am a newbie too! Good luck and happy tanking

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom