Substrate? Gravel?-- What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, I'm surprised you were able to find them at petco. Many people say that they sell non aquatic plants and rarely any true aquatic ones. Do you still remember how much you paid them for? Thanks :)

Lots of petco plants are aquatic but many also aren't. My petco has a huge tank of aquatic and a huge tank of semi aquatic. I paid 3 for the java fern 5 for the planted one i don't know the name of and 4$ for every bundle or tube of plants so total I payed like 25$

Lots of petco plants are aquatic but many also aren't. My petco has a huge tank of aquatic and a huge tank of semi aquatic. I paid 3 for the java fern 5 for the planted one i don't know the name of and 4$ for every bundle or tube of plants so total I payed like 25$

Woah! Sounds good. I didn't really see the plants they sell at my petco, but I did see tank with plants in them. Hopefully I get a good stock for my tank!

Woah! Sounds good. I didn't really see the plants they sell at my petco, but I did see tank with plants in them. Hopefully I get a good stock for my tank!

Yea man! I want some banana plants too but my petco had like 4 and I wanted ones with long stems but couldn't find one lol

Yea man! I want some banana plants too but my petco had like 4 and I wanted ones with long stems but couldn't find one lol

Omg! They have banana plants too?!

I'm definitely going to petco tomorrow to see what they have. :D hopefully they at least have a decent amount of selection (I live in Hawaii and the shipping of live items have very strict rules).

I'm definitely going to petco tomorrow to see what they have. :D hopefully they at least have a decent amount of selection (I live in Hawaii and the shipping of live items have very strict rules).

Ooh interesting. But yes they have banana plants :)

Are petcos independently owned? Only 1 within 75 miles of me and its the place you only go in an emergence and then only because they are open until 10 the LFS closes at 7 and petsmart at 9. The store has 2 sets of tanks and no live plants the only dead things in tubes, also does not have live fish just dead ones in green water.

Are petcos independently owned? Only 1 within 75 miles of me and its the place you only go in an emergence and then only because they are open until 10 the LFS closes at 7 and petsmart at 9. The store has 2 sets of tanks and no live plants the only dead things in tubes, also does not have live fish just dead ones in green water.

Your petco sounds like fish hell. My petco is clean has lots of plants and fish and a very wide variety

I'm not sure what the answer to your question would be. In my local petco, so far the fish area is clean. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about fish keeping in petco though. I think quality differs from store to store.
Nevertheless, I think you should find the 2nd nearest pet store you can find..I wouldn't risk buying fish/plants from there.

I'm not sure what the answer to your question would be. In my local petco, so far the fish area is clean. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about fish keeping in petco though. I think quality differs from store to store.
Nevertheless, I think you should find the 2nd nearest pet store you can find..I wouldn't risk buying fish/plants from there.

only things I ever buy from them are flaked food and kitty litter

Petland in Kahala usually has a pretty decent selection of plants and their prices are very, very reasonable. There are a few planted tank gurus there that are very helpful in helping you choose plants appropriate to your lights. I go there typically at least once a week mainly to browse and see if they got anything new, hehe. Aquascapes in Aiea specializes in planted tanks and they have by far the best selection of plants but unfortunately they're pretty expensive. But they're all very friendly and it's a great place to just learn about plants and how to care for them. Just a few alternatives, as Petco here is pretty awful in their plant selection. :)

Petland in Kahala usually has a pretty decent selection of plants and their prices are very, very reasonable. There are a few planted tank gurus there that are very helpful in helping you choose plants appropriate to your lights. I go there typically at least once a week mainly to browse and see if they got anything new, hehe. Aquascapes in Aiea specializes in planted tanks and they have by far the best selection of plants but unfortunately they're pretty expensive. But they're all very friendly and it's a great place to just learn about plants and how to care for them. Just a few alternatives, as Petco here is pretty awful in their plant selection. :)

Oh my..nice to see someone in the same location! The problem is, I live allllllllll the way in Kapolei (we just recently moved here). I've been to Aquascapes and they are pretty pricey, but if there's no other good plants for more reasonable prices then ill just stick to that. I've never been to the petland in Kahala, because that's super far, lol. What kind of plants have you see so far at petland?
I'll check it out, thanks for telling me!

Dang that is pretty far! They typically have all of the basic lowlight stuff (several types of anubias and java fern, bacopa, anacharis, frogbit) plus other good plants like crypts, watersprite, swords, vals, cabomba, banana plants, and more, plus all the high light stuff. It also depends on when you go regards to their shipments.

For substrate I'd buy it online. Personally I'd recommend Eco complete "fine grade", should be able to get a 20 pound bag for $20 and free shipping on Amazon.

Dang that is pretty far! They typically have all of the basic lowlight stuff (several types of anubias and java fern, bacopa, anacharis, frogbit) plus other good plants like crypts, watersprite, swords, vals, cabomba, banana plants, and more, plus all the high light stuff. It also depends on when you go regards to their shipments.

For substrate I'd buy it online. Personally I'd recommend Eco complete "fine grade", should be able to get a 20 pound bag for $20 and free shipping on Amazon.

Yup. The closest pet store I have is petco. Kapolei is still a building community, so there's still a slight chance of another pet store..maybe.

But now I realllly want to go to Petland! Lol

I bought all my plants from petsmart, and other than some brownish anacharis (which is getting better, they had it planted), I've had no problems.

If you're looking for some variety, get windelev java ferns, they're smaller but really nice looking.

Attachments

• image-1435302900.jpg
    image-1435302900.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 41
I bought all my plants from petsmart, and other than some brownish anacharis (which is getting better, they had it planted), I've had no problems.

If you're looking for some variety, get windelev java ferns, they're smaller but really nice looking.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom