Substrate help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty280

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting a 50 gallon freshwater planted tank. I want to put in a substrate that will work with the live plants. Any help on substrate medium? And depth? Thanks.

If you already have regular gravel, start with that and see how things go. But a substrate designed for plants is better. Such ones to go with are laterite, Seachem flourite, Carrib sea eco-complete, Red Sea flora base. You can mix them with your existing substrate or go 100%. A gravel bed of 2 - 4 inches is desirable.

I've got PFS in one of my planted tanks... I just suppliment with root tabs. In my 125 that I just set up, I did a mix of organic potting soil and a layer of sand over it. I've got a friend who has 7 or 8 tanks with the organic potting soil and sand cap. He never doses ferts and has beautiful plants (actually where I got mine). It's not something I can say I've had success with though, as I only planted it today.

Eco Complete, ADA aquasoil, turface, and flourite seem to be the most popular.

Thanks for the help.... I think I would be nervous to use plain potting soil..... with the possible kick up into the water and filter, but I will try one of the commerically sold plant substrates you have mentioned. Do you know how much (lbs?) I would need for a 4 inch of this type of substrate in a 50 gallon tank?

Wow awesome app to answer my question. Thanks for the help

I wouldn't waste you money on a ton of fluorite. I have a 2-3" of play sand (wash very well); then a small 1/4" layer of fluorite; then 1" of large gravel to keep everything packed down.

Go with about 4 bags to get 4 inches. You'll probably want to slope the back up higher to give the aquascape more depth.

Yes I bought 4 bags of Eco-complete. I have heard from some people only to use that for substrate others have said to mix the Eco with gravel?

Personal preference. I don't much care for the look of mixed substrates. Layered is one thing, but eco-complete looks good just the way it is IMO. I wouldn't worry about mixing it.

I think I am going to go with the ecocomplete only to a depth of about 4 inches

Back
Top Bottom