Substrate / lighting shopping list for 58 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
making a shopping list. I am going to get:

2 bags EcoComplete. 1 bag fine gravel.

Lighting: I have a single 24" ballast to start with. Any recommend a bulb for low to medium light plants or natural-spectrum light bulbs? I will follow up this purchase with my 150 watt's for the plant lighting.

Just would like to go into the store knowing what I am looking for and not trusting the LFS for my advise.

You can send me links or just give me a good idea of what I am looking for for the 3 seperate bulbs. Guess I should have put this in the planted tank forum sorry.

If you are planning on a heavily planted aquarium, all eco, if your getting just a few plants, 2 eco and one gravel. No plants - dont even bother with eco.

What's going in the tank??
I just put small gravel mixed with larger pebbles in my 50 gal community tank. The fish are actually having to forage for food--gives them something to do while I watch them :D

my current tank has [1 Hillstream Loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis ) 2 bronze cories (mating pair), 2 neon tetras, 5 cardinal tetras, 2 oto's, and a billion fry doing well... plants: water wisteria, bacopa and floating at the top is some Ceratophyllum demersum (coontail)] The substrate is all gravel right now. My new tank I want to do more correct.. Starting with no plants immediately. Some in a few months or a little longer.

I'll probably go 2 eco 1 small gravel.. Do I put the gravel on top of the Eco? or is it better to mix it a little for the top layer? When you are doing gravel vac's with Eco do you avoid touching it?

Thanks for all your advice. :)

also I have a single 24" ballast to start with. Any recommend a bulb for low to medium light plants.. long term I plan on getting better lighting. Just limited funds right now.

long term I will either add a 2 ballast or replace the single with a double. any advice would be great.

Hope to get the bulb for the single when I pick up my substrate.

I just set up a 37 g tank. Took three bags of Eco to get 2" in front with 3" depth in the rear of the tank. Keep in mind, I used three small pieces of driftwood and a few small rocks for decorations as well as heavy planting (this helps to raise substrate height by taking up volume). Seeing how a 55g is 1' longer than mine, I'd suggest atleast 4 bags of substrate to get the desired depth you need for a planted tank.

IMO if your planning on slowly planting in the future, go with straight Eco. It's a little more costly, but in the long run you'll be glad you did. The Eco is beautiful and plants love it.

Remember........research, research, research. The more planning and knowledge you have helps to set up a successful planted tank. Don't be afraid to ask questions right here on AA. There are so many nice and knowledgable people here, that are more than happy to help. :D

Edit....... Forgot about the light. A single 24" light in a 55g probably is'nt going to be enough to grow most plants. Be patient and save your pinnies for adequate lighting before introducing plants. Maybe someone can chime in on low light plants that might work.

Back
Top Bottom