Substrate on leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleMossHead84

Aquarium Advice Regular
So some of my plants seem to be collecting some fine dust of substrate on their leaves. I can shake it off but it settles again. I rinsed and rinsed the substrate when I put it in my tank 3 weeks ago. Is this normal. I put some new plants in the other day which disturbed some of the substrate but i want my plants to be dust free...any suggestions?

What kind of substrate is it?

many of them will break up into micro particles and blow around your tank if you have enough circulation in the tank. Depending on your substrate it's likely normal to have this happen. One way to combat it is by running Filter Floss in your filtration that is capable of capturing even the smallest of particles to clean it from the water.

i tend to see this happen with tanks with out enough flow. like neilanh said filter floss to clear it out helps. tell us about the tank and filter maybe you need additional filtration.

I purchased the filter floss which helped a great deal. I am using flourite red substrate. My tank is a 10 gal. I did a couple of things backwards so at the moment I am using a sponge filter which was put in 2 weeks ago and a tetra whisper which I have had in and running for about 1 1/2. I am using both due to suggestions from people on here that I should until the sponge has accumulated enough good bacteria.

He means are you saving to sponge filter so you can start up another tank with the bacteria on the sponge you are using now, I believe.

You probably added the plants before the fluorite settled. Just brush off the leaves and check if more comes back later. Fluorite is pretty settled after a few days.

Back
Top Bottom