Substrate Recommendation for Low Tech Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desert Sea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently in the planning and acquiring stages for a new 29g planted tank. As this is my first attempt at the use of live plants, I would like to keep it a low tech, easy to maintain approach. No CO2 for the time being.

I have been doing some reading up on plant substrates and would like to get some opinions on good substrate choices. I want to stay away from the layered soil method as this seems like its better suited for someone with more experience and seems to me could make for a mess in the tank if one is not careful. From what I have read, Eco Complete seems to be a good choice. I have also found info on Floramax. Does anyone know if either of these substrates will decompose to clay? I would prefer something that remains gravel like. Also the bag of Floramax that I was looking at had a label on it saying to use caution with shrimp and invertebrates. Anyone know why this would be and does the same hold true for Eco Complete? I would like to have some shrimp, so I need to keep the substrate compatible. Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

Best substrate for low tech beginner's tank

Hello,
I have the exact same questions and same conditions...
I would like to set-up a 30gal. community tank with what I would call a few carefully chosen and well placed live plants. I plan to also have some nice driftwood and a few rocks to complete the decor. Because I want a few live plants to help create a natural look I need to choose the correct Substrate. I was looking at the same products that you mentioned. Somehow I "think" the Eco supreme might be the best choice B/C of my low tech number of plants, natural looks and minimal effect on water quality plus ability to keep it clean.
I am very interested in your thoughts about this matter and how you have decided to proceed.
Regards, Bob

I've only used EcoComplete in my planted tank and shrimp tank and have good results with plants in a high tech and low tech setup. The EC from the shrimp tank eventually was replaced with black sand because I no longer had rooted plants in there (all moss now).
EC will not break down. Periodic root fertilizers will be needed and EC does not provide fertilizers like some of the higher end substrates. It's physical makeup, however, allows it to attract and store certain elements necessary for plant health.
The black EC is mostly black but not jet black. It contains grains with gray, brown, red, and tan. It has a craggy rough appearance. From what I've read here, it is safe for barbel catfish add loaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Honestly, for a low light low tech planted tankbjust use whatever sand you like. Theres no need to spend the extra money on the plant substrates.

Just use a quality root tab and the plants will do well if you choose the right plants.

If you want a specialty plant substrate, i would suggest flourite black. I have it in my 75g and love it

Thread mistake...

Sorry guys, what happened was I got a reply message on my IPad and I replied to the message directly on my IPad NOT using the thread on Aquariumadvice.
Thus the message was not posted and disappeared into cyberspace :cool:
The essence of what I said was I was planing to use relatively few live plants spaced rather conservatively so I did not think I require a dedicated plant substrate. I would use plant tabs to keep things looking good. Other important factors, in my mind are gravel/sand size, natural color and a neutral effect on water quality. It seems to me that Carab Sea has some products that fit. However, not sure who is the best vendor for these products.
Again any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

Back
Top Bottom