substrate switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
so is it possible or am i crazy?

i've got PFS in my 20g high planted tank. i'd like to switch to something that will benefit my plants. i keep seeing everyone's dirt/soil tanks and getting jealous.

so what do you think...i'm thinking i would have to move the fish temporarily?

would the change from PFS to a soil substrate chemically change the water and be unsafe for the fish (the fluctuation)?

is it possible at all? or should i think about permanently re-homing the fish and starting the tank from scratch if i want to change substrates?

i want to change over because i feel like my plants need it. plus i'm realizing that the sand bed is not as deep as i really want it to be so i was thinking of adding more sand anyway. i know that taking sand out and totally replacing it is a whole other thing, but i don't want to go adding sand only to remove it if i go through with switching over.

also, any suggestions for "easy" nutrient-rich soil/dirt substrates? possibly something i can pick up at a garden supply store?

TIA for your input :flowers:

YOu can swap substrate pretty easily.. I did in my 40 breeder. I don't think you're going to be able to swap with dirt though. Dirt usually leeches ammonia for a while, which you definitely don't want. IMO, dirt is best left for new tanks that you're in no rush to stock.

I have never used a soil based substrate so I cant help you there, I always use Ecocomplete or gravel.

I have changed substrates. I removed the plants and decorations. Filled a cooler up with tank water, put the fish in it. Emptied the tank, removed the substrate. Added the new substrate which I had clean and ready to go.

I replanted the tank and decorations. Filled it back up with water at close to the temp it was before, let it circulate for a few minutes and put the fish back in.

Be sure to block off a couple of hours and have everything ready that way you will not need to rush or feel panicked.

Back
Top Bottom