subwassertang w/ hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barbarpapa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ive got lots of subwassertang that is loaded with short black hairs, this is in a 20 long bear bottom tank, I would like to remove the subwassertang and dip it, so my question is will H2O2 or excel hurt this plant or be a waste of time in treating hair algae. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Subwassertang along with other mosses can't withstand an excel or h2o2 dip or spot treat. You'll most likely fry it. Try removing some of the subwassertang and place it in a container with no light for a week. Maybe add a couple of drops of API algaefix. Experiment with this and see if it'll selectively kill the algae. I was successful in getting some nasty hair fuzzy algae off my mini fizz that way.

BTW, is the algae BBA or a type of hair algae. If it's hair algae for sure, shrimp do a great job at eating it. I drop some algae infested plants in my shrimp tank for a day. Next day, they're completely picked clean. But BBA wouldn't be on the shrimp's menu.

Good luck on the war on algae. Best way to defeat it is prevention. So figuring out the root-cause would be beneficial in avoiding the headache. Try reducing your light intensity or photoperiod. CO2 might be needed if your lights are too intense.

Back
Top Bottom