Success! Ithink...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyb1425

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I have finally switched my store bought single fixture hood into a compact flourescent monster (I guess a 15 gal. isn't much of a monster though). All I can say is that if anyone is having trouble like I was with a planted tank with bulbs that are not a high enough wattage, should buy the compact flourescent conversion kits. If I could put one together (and not burn the house down yet), then I assume anyone could. Unfortunately, a number of my plants (Amazon Swords) have the brown slime coating on some of the leaves and some of the other leaves look like a plant skeleton. Should I begin my tank rebirth by removing some of the dead leaves or am I better off leaving them alone?

With swords it's a good idea to remove any of the dead/dying leaves. Some pics of the afflicted plants would help us help you. You may have a nutrient deficiency which is causing your problems. What are your tank parameters (watts per gallon, nitrates, phosphates, CO2, etc.)?

I transported a E. osiris var. rubra 3000km from the tropics down to Adelaide, we have a mediteranean climate here (summer now). I had the plant in a bucket in the back yard at the in-law's place and some of the exposed leaved got sunburn and got completely brown (dead!). I ripped off the old and dead leaves and with in a week it is doing better. I'll post some pics..... I'll have to find them and resize BRB.

this is the plant when I bought it

Attachments

• e_osiris_rubra.jpg
    e_osiris_rubra.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 70
  • plant_with_the_guppies.jpg
    plant_with_the_guppies.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 81
This is how it looks now..... ~1.3 wpg after a week. Iyt is starting to develop its submerged foliage.

There are 3 new leaves one from yesterday and two today.

Attachments

• three_new_leaves.jpg
    three_new_leaves.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 51
This is what E. osiris (Melon Sword) should look like: http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=97

Either yours was completely grown emerged and is now slowly converting to submerged growth...
or, they sold you the wrong plant. That looks like a sword, but it way too stiff, too terrestrial looking to be a true aquatic.

Most swords are actually marginal due to where they grow, so it's likely that it's the former, and not the latter. But that last photo you posted...it doesn't look good.

Mine was sold as grown emersed. I have researched the growing habits and even when submerged it continues to produce the rounder leaves on a long stem.

Since it has has most of the leaves removed now and planted submerged it is making the transition now. You can see the difference between the longer undulating leaf on the bottom right and the older leaf at the to (where the camera flash is). It still has 3 young leaves which are the emersed form.

I posted the pic because the plant has been in less than ideal conditions sitting in a bucket outside in the back yard at the in-laws. And after 7 days in the tank it has put out 4 new leaves after have the old and dead-dying leaves removed. I was hoping to provide encouragement for Jonnyb. :D

BTW the tank is at pH 7.2, KH 3 deg, GH 10 Deg, Temp 28deg C. Light ~1.3 wpg.

The same plant a couple days later. The new leaves are growing quite quickly.

Attachments

• whole_plant_001.jpg
    whole_plant_001.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 33
That looks sort of like an Ozelot sword to me, but I'm just guessing at this point. The patterns on the leaves resemble some Ozelots I used to have. It's putting out some good submersed growth from the looks of it.

jonnyb1425 - I think you should remove the dead leaves and see if the plant comes back. Root feeding tabs are helpful for swords, also.

jonnyb1425, do you have any updates? What did you do and how is it going?

I do have a root-tabs..... locally made, it has clay with the nitrients in that. It goes by the name of dinasour dung and is made especially for aquarium plants.

I'll post another couple update pics because I got excited, it has sent out a flower stalk. It doesn't produce seeds from the flowers, but it does put out many new plants.

Attachments

• whole_plant_002.jpg
    whole_plant_002.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 30
  • flower_stalk.jpg
    flower_stalk.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom