Suggest me some crypts!(or other low light plants)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crepe said:
Here's a list of crypts I keep. There are really tons of them and you just need to pick the ones you like:

C. nurii
C. nurii "mutated"
C. pondeterfolia
C. crispatula
C. wendtii "green gecko"
C. wendtii "red"
C. wendtii "tropica"
C. parva
C. cordata "KR01"

Most of them all have the same demands and are easy to keep.

Hey thanks for the list! I've got lots of research to do! And shopping! I don't wanna rush this one!

So I really like c. Crispatula and c. Wendtii. My plan of attack is to mix those both behind the driftwood in a back corner with c. Parva in front of the driftwood. Nice mixed taller bushy setup for the background and the smaller for the front. I'll go ahed and attach some Anubis nana to the driftwood(if I don't find a good branched style one.)

So I had to go to home depot today for a few things, I figured I might as well get this while I was in there... :brows:

Attachments

• image-4211853929.jpg
    image-4211853929.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 77
Billbug68 said:
So I had to go to home depot today for a few things, I figured I might as well get this while I was in there... :brows:

I believe that is what I used when I made my 1g Shrimp bowl and my 10g community Walstad tanks. Can't remember :( haha. I'm assuming you have read up on the methodology of it?

Predfan27 said:
I believe that is what I used when I made my 1g Shrimp bowl and my 10g community Walstad tanks. Can't remember :( haha. I'm assuming you have read up on the methodology of it?

Yes, I've read some, watched some videos, I'm considering going out and getting her book for specifics. I was reading an interview with her and she was talking about how people just assume they can dirt a tank and that's her method, but just fail because they use too large of a layer of dirt or whatever... I'll do some more research, I've got lots of time before I get around to making the change. It seams pretty simple and straight forward though... My only problem would be a single betta in a 5g wouldn't be producing much wast to keep the substrate rich over a long period of time... I'm considering maybe adding shrimp to the mix, but my female betta in my 10g picked off nearly all of them... That's 3.99 an RCS... Aye my male seems a little more timid but you never know!

Billbug68 said:
Yes, I've read some, watched some videos, I'm considering going out and getting her book for specifics. I was reading an interview with her and she was talking about how people just assume they can dirt a tank and that's her method, but just fail because they use too large of a layer of dirt or whatever... I'll do some more research, I've got lots of time before I get around to making the change. It seams pretty simple and straight forward though... My only problem would be a single betta in a 5g wouldn't be producing much wast to keep the substrate rich over a long period of time... I'm considering maybe adding shrimp to the mix, but my female betta in my 10g picked off nearly all of them... That's 3.99 an RCS... Aye my male seems a little more timid but you never know!

I wouldn't go get her book, merely for the fact that it is a little too dry and scientific (or so I hear).

I got into from an article in Aquarium Fish International magazine that did a step by step for 1 gallon shrimp bowls.

If you want some cheaper RCS you should look up maxwellag, he has some and is very good at shipping. I can personally attest to this since my shrimp are from him :)

I was able to pick up my RCS for <$1 each on aquabid.com. 15+5 for $15 is fairly common. One thing I found is they aren't the reddest ones out there though.

Yeah I know I could order them for cheaper, but I found them at an LFS so I just went that route... I'll look into your suggestions to pick some up that way. Thanks guys! :)

Btw anyone have any good links for details on the walstad method? Would save me some time and be greatly appreciated! :)

Another side note now that I think about it... My male betta is the pickiest eater! Only eats betta pellets. No flakes, no frozen, nothing! He refuses to follow food! I have to place the pellets right in front of him or he won't even see it. I'm thinking this is a good sign as to his ability to live with some RCS. I actually had two in with him before but they never came out. The had a nice little hiding spot in the DW. I ended up just moving them to my 10g.

4 C. Crispatula (2 will go in my 10g)
2 C. Wendtii
2 Hygro Kompact (also for my 10g)

I'm excited! My fiancé is gonna kill me though... Lol keep spending money on these aquariums! I can't help it...

Billbug68 said:
4 C. Crispatula (2 will go in my 10g)
2 C. Wendtii
2 Hygro Kompact (also for my 10g)

I'm excited! My fiancé is gonna kill me though... Lol keep spending money on these aquariums! I can't help it...

I love C. Crispatula. I've had a little growth that I've been trying to nurse back to healthy for a few years now. They can have such pretty wavy leaves!

I'm just worried about the stock fluval chi light... I don't mind if I don't see tons of growth as long as everything stays alive and healthy. I've been fighting the urge to switch this to high light, co2 injection with a external nano canister filter... I'm trying hard to keep this low tech but I'm so worried about that dang light!

Edit, I love the looks of this plant too btw! I hope it does well, how tall does it get?

paytertot said:
Well what kind of light is it?

It's the stock fluval chi light. Submersed LEDs, I think there's like 11 LEDs, and they are weak! They also get dirty fast because it's part of the filter so after a few days the light is green/yellow. It's definitely considered low light.

Billbug68 said:
I'm just worried about the stock fluval chi light... I don't mind if I don't see tons of growth as long as everything stays alive and healthy. I've been fighting the urge to switch this to high light, co2 injection with a external nano canister filter... I'm trying hard to keep this low tech but I'm so worried about that dang light!

Edit, I love the looks of this plant too btw! I hope it does well, how tall does it get?

I wouldn't go crazy on the Chi. The Wendtii will do just fine in there with low light. The Crispatula may need some higher lighting as it can grow to a decent size. Mine has been surviving (not thriving) as low lights so you still may be fine.

If you're really concern about the lighting I'd just get another tank haha. You wanna work inside your tanks limitations!

Predfan27 said:
If you're really concern about the lighting I'd just get another tank haha. You wanna work inside your tanks limitations!

I could take the stock filter and light off and use something else, but I like having the little waterfall feature. I dunno we'll see. I don't think they'll ship the plants till next week sometime.

Back
Top Bottom