Suggest me some crypts!(or other low light plants)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Billbug68 said:
I could take the stock filter and light off and use something else, but I like having the little waterfall feature. I dunno we'll see. I don't think they'll ship the plants till next week sometime.

Well then, I'd just plant hem and monitor what's going on. You said you have another tank right? If the lighting isn't enough in the Chi, you can always transfer.

Keep in mind though, Crypts do have a tendency to do a melt-away when adjusting to a new tank!

Predfan27 said:
Well then, I'd just plant hem and monitor what's going on. You said you have another tank right? If the lighting isn't enough in the Chi, you can always transfer.

Keep in mind though, Crypts do have a tendency to do a melt-away when adjusting to a new tank!

Yeah, my crypt parva has been doing well in there for a while so I think that's a good sign. It's probably doubled in size since I got it a few months ago.

Billbug68 said:
Yeah, my crypt parva has been doing well in there for a while so I think that's a good sign. It's probably doubled in size since I got it a few months ago.

Well I wouldn't say you have too much to worry about then! Good luck and keep us updated!

Well, I guess this is it... I didn't get as many plants as I expected... I think the right side needs another crypt parva in front of the c. crispatula.

Attachments

• image-3782532232.jpg
    image-3782532232.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3295428192.jpg
    image-3295428192.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 83
If you take the (what looks like Lucens) Crypt in hand, you can actually split it up into 2 or 3 smaller plants if you want that to cover the foreground. I ordered a singular Bronze Crypt from Aquariumplants.com and broke it up into like...10...

Predfan27 said:
If you take the (what looks like Lucens) Crypt in hand, you can actually split it up into 2 or 3 smaller plants if you want that to cover the foreground. I ordered a singular Bronze Crypt from Aquariumplants.com and broke it up into like...10...

I was debating if it was lucens or parva... Coursair also thought it was lucens on a different thread. Yeah I could break it up but I think I like it now on the right side... Not sure yet. I might also move the c crispatula to my 10g as I'm reading now it can get 30" tall... Haha I'll need another background plant that stays maybe 6-8" ughhhh!

You can always trim it as needed. I believe Crispatula is still a moderately slow grower (although I have no proof to back it up).

Predfan27 said:
You can always trim it as needed. I believe Crispatula is still a moderately slow grower (although I have no proof to back it up).

Can I trim the leaves themselves or just cut off the entire leaf that gets too long.

It seems as though I should put my foot in my mouth. Just read up on it. Seems as though trimming Crypts may make them melt. Perhaps you could look for a larger species of Anubias or some stem plants for the background?

That's what I was thinking. I had some ludwigia in there and it didn't do too well... I wish it would, it would look great in this tank! I'll look into a few more. I'll have to find something local though cuz shipping for plants was just too expensive.

Billbug68 said:
That's what I was thinking. I had some ludwigia in there and it didn't do too well... I wish it would, it would look great in this tank! I'll look into a few more. I'll have to find something local though cuz shipping for plants was just too expensive.

Agreed. That's whats keeping me from some of those Crispatulas! I love them so much. I hope mine makes a comeback. Let us know what you decided on! Hope you find something great :)

Predfan27 said:
Agreed. That's whats keeping me from some of those Crispatulas! I love them so much. I hope mine makes a comeback. Let us know what you decided on! Hope you find something great :)

Thanks, I'll def update. Hey, do you have any c. Wendtii? If so about how tall does it get? I'd say the one I just got is about 4" at it's tallest leaf.

I have 3 types of Wendtii (Bronze, Green, Red). I'd say they get on the taller side of foreground plants. I've had mine for about a month of two. I'd say mine have a leaf of like 5-6inches.

Yea that's not parva but if you get a parva it would look good on that left side

Back
Top Bottom