Suggest me some crypts!(or other low light plants)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Little update...

First off, I think dirting the tank was a bad idea... :facepalm:

New plants have since started to melt... :(

It seems I'm never happy with this tank but I think I have figured out exactly what the scape needs, and I'll be able to keep the stock light/filter. I'm gonna try to get it done tomorrow, if I can find what I need local... Hint Hint! It's not more plants! However, I might pick up another small crypt if need be.

Stay tuned! It's gonna look good if it kills me! I promise!

All crypts melt in a new tank then grow back it's just what they di

Ready? There's still some bubbles in the sand, I'll post a better pic once everything settles a little more.

Attachments

• image-318596742.jpg
    image-318596742.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 63
  • image-3324542489.jpg
    image-3324542489.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 56
  • image-3097241385.jpg
    image-3097241385.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 59
  • image-4005025876.jpg
    image-4005025876.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3767881213.jpg
    image-3767881213.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image-248964130.jpg
    image-248964130.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 68
I'm curious but what's wrong with the dirt? I really like hearing other peoples expierence with it. I dirted my 220g and never had any melt from my cripts and I have several. In fact I never knew they could grow so big and I know its the dirt. Your tank is going to change as it matures and look different than when you planted it. The fact you have such low light the crypts are going to grow exceedingly slow so size is not going to be a factor for a long time. Parva's are very tiny. I have a small patch of them accenting a rock/wood structure and they are sweet little plants. The lower the light the more errect they stand.

It wasn't so much the dirt, but the overall look of the tank. I really wanted that steep incline that I just couldn't achieve with having the tank dirted. The few plants I had did fine with root tabs, so that's what I've decided to do. Easier, less mess, and I think overall I achieved a much better look than I could have with a flat scaped tank. Do you like the new look?

Billbug68 said:
It wasn't so much the dirt, but the overall look of the tank. I really wanted that steep incline that I just couldn't achieve with having the tank dirted. The few plants I had did fine with root tabs, so that's what I've decided to do. Easier, less mess, and I think overall I achieved a much better look than I could have with a flat scaped tank. Do you like the new look?

I really like the first picture! I think that looks fantastic.

Also, give your plants a little time to fill in before rescaling. Something I have learned is that a tank won't always look the way you want it when first set up. The classic "Rome wasn't built in a day" philosophy. The centerpiece planted tanks you see online have taken a lot of time to fill in that way.

Thank you! :) The pictures were meant to be the process but I uploaded them backwards... Lol, so the first pic is the final scape. I have to say, I am finally really happy with it! Yes, now it's time to just keep up on the maintenance, and let the plants grow! :)

I'd suggest java fern, have moss, any anubias. Also, hornwort is pretty cool. It's a floating plant, but you can put it in the gravel and it will grow tall.

I had to go back and look at the flat scape, this one definitely has more dimention to it. Once you tweek it to where you want and let it grow in it's going to look pretty awesome!

Rivercats said:
I had to go back and look at the flat scape, this one definitely has more dimention to it. Once you tweek it to where you want and let it grow in it's going to look pretty awesome!

Thanks! :) I'm pretty picky, so when I'm actually excited about it, I know I've got it right! I moved a little sand around from the front center after I took the pics, I think it's time to just let it grow. I also added some ghost shrimp and a couple otos. I hope they do okay. The filter has been established for a while, and I kept everything wet during the re scape. I'll check params in the morning and try to keep it stable.

Billbug68 said:
Btw, one of my ghosts looks to be carrying eggs? Do they breed like RCS?

Doesn't look to me like it's berried. When Ghosties have eggs they are dark calls under the abdomen.

Overall, yes they breed like RCS. I don't keep them so I don't really have prior experience in the breeding Ghosties subject. Depending on what type of Ghost Shrimp you have, they could breed in fresh or brackish. Hopefully someone with Ghost Shrimp breeding can chime in. RCS, now that I can help you with!

She doesn't seem to have a full load but there are some lime green eggs there for sure. Hard to see in the pic I guess. Also, apparently it might be a bad idea to have them in a rimless/lidless tank. Just had a jumper and I think my 3 year old trampled it... :(

Just stepped on another ghostie... :( 3 left! I like the looks of these guys with the colors in the tank but they are way more jumpy than my RCS... They swim around a lot compared to my RCS too. Should I change out the ghosties for RCS? My betta didn't even nip at any of the new comers, he's pretty chill. Just a little scared that if he sees the bright red he'll see them as a threat and chow down.

Going through some bad crypt melt right now. I'm confident everything will pull through. Can't wait for everything to grow back in nice and full! My wendtii needs to hide that ugly heater already! Lol

Tested the tank yesterday and everything was well
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10

I love this tank now! :D

Small update here, nothing too eventful to report. All the plants recovered from the notorious crypt melt and are growing in slowly. I pulled a baby off of the wendtii and planted it behind the wood on the left side. It should peak over it in a month or so.

I've been thinking of maybe planting some marsilea minuta around the tank to fill it in a little. I know it won't carpet under this light, but I think some patches directly in front of the driftwood and around the other plants would look cool. Maybe some in the middle above where the rocks start near the wendtii. Here's a new pic from tonight.

Also, if any mods see this could you possibly merge this thread with my other named "our five gallon betta build." Maybe name the resulting thread "Bill's planted 5 gallon fluval chi" it would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• image-3937018084.jpg
    image-3937018084.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom