Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gal with low to med lights (led lights part of the start up kit) I have pool filter sand substrate and use root tabs liquid fertilizer and liquid co2 I want to know what type of lush green plants will work well, I want something that will take off like crazy and that I can trim and replant and is full and "pops" in the tank. If needed I could configure my own set up for co2. Any suggestions?

I've had a lot of luck with Water sprite. It's a very very very fast growing plant and is really hardy. Anubias nana would be another good choice for a plant that stands out.

I have a 55 gal with low to med lights (led lights part of the start up kit) I have pool filter sand substrate and use root tabs liquid fertilizer and liquid co2 I want to know what type of lush green plants will work well, I want something that will take off like crazy and that I can trim and replant and is full and "pops" in the tank. If needed I could configure my own set up for co2. Any suggestions?

Man, you have almost the same setup as me!! Lol. The only difference is I have brighter lights ( med-high light ).
Jungle val ( actually almost all vallisneria ) grow very fast and also spread really fast as well.
Like mebbid said, water sprite is a great choice as well.
Hornwort, anacharis, hygrophila difformis, cabomba, most mosses, dwarf sag, dwarf hairgrass, giant hairgrass, some Ludwigia, some rotala, bacopa, and many many many more.

Man, you have almost the same setup as me!! Lol. The only difference is I have brighter lights ( med-high light ).
Jungle val ( actually almost all vallisneria ) grow very fast and also spread really fast as well.
Like mebbid said, water sprite is a great choice as well.
Hornwort, anacharis, hygrophila difformis, cabomba, most mosses, dwarf sag, dwarf hairgrass, giant hairgrass, some Ludwigia, some rotala, bacopa, and many many many more.

Any pics? Would like to see some tanks and how they are designed.

Another question that came to me was co2 gas not liquid. Is it worth it for low light plants? Should I buy a system or make my own? And how would I turn it off at night because I heard that plants don't use co2 at night so it would be a waste of the gas. If I were to buy what would be a good brand?

Co2 only gets really necessary as the light level gets higher. The liquid co2 works just fine for most applications as long as you aren't growing vals. They can tend to melt with the liquid co2.

How are you keeping your plants I the sand I also have PFS but I can't even vacuum out the tank near my plants without them getting uprooted ?

Co2 only gets really necessary as the light level gets higher. The liquid co2 works just fine for most applications as long as you aren't growing vals. They can tend to melt with the liquid co2.

+1. Co2 is usually only necessary with high light plants. For low lights, its a waste of money IMO because you don't need it at all.

Any pics? Would like to see some tanks and how they are designed.

I'm actually still cycling. But it's almost done and I'm getting my lights this week. I'm gonna have med-lower end high lights plants. Once I have everything in, I'll definitely show ya. :)

How are you keeping your plants I the sand I also have PFS but I can't even vacuum out the tank near my plants without them getting uprooted ?

What kind of vaccum do you have? Plants usually shouldn't be able to be uprooted by a vaccum. How thick is the substrate?

I have the roots pushed down far enough in the pool filter sand and I also have some rocks helping some plants stay down

What kind of vaccum do you have? Plants usually shouldn't be able to be uprooted by a vaccum. How thick is the substrate?

2-3 inches but they are java ferns and they have to be really close to the top my sand is super light but its PFS

Also I have a aqueon water changer for my 20 gallon

2-3 inches but they are java ferns and they have to be really close to the top my sand is super light but its PFS

Also I have a aqueon water changer for my 20 gallon

You're better off tying your ferns to either a porous or rough textured rock or some dw until it takes hold. The plant does much better that way.

Their roots are really rudimentary and are more suited to gripping surfaces than anchored in substrate.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...xYHADQ&usg=AFQjCNErnxk_peX-V-IPFtoFwT8xZeYTHg

You're better off tying your ferns to either a porous or rough textured rock or some dw until it takes hold. The plant does much better that way.

Their roots are really rudimentary and are more suited to gripping surfaces than anchored in substrate.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=11&ved=0CF4QFjAK&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vickisaquaticplace.com%2Fjavafern.html&ei=UjvUUcTyHO3h4AOPxYHADQ&usg=AFQjCNErnxk_peX-V-IPFtoFwT8xZeYTHg

+1. Java ferns and anubias do better tied to rocks/dw than in the substrate. There roots grasp objects to hold on and sand is not that easy to hold on to.

Back
Top Bottom